Bran prices?

Reaction score
I routinely use wheat and oat bran in the bread that I make. Now, bran of any kind is pretty much dirt cheap, but I was shocked today to see that the price of bran has doubled in the last month or two. I was paying $1/lb for wheat bran in March, and it's $2/lb now. Is this just one store ripping me off, or is there really a global price explosion? Now, I'm not getting wholesale bags, just scooping it in a self-serve counter.

Reaction score
wholesale price is $30+ for 50lb bag.
Last time I ordered rolled oat was $11 for 50 lbs but it was a long time ago.

Reaction score
I routinely use wheat and oat bran in the bread that I make. Now, bran of any kind is pretty much dirt cheap, but I was shocked today to see that the price of bran has doubled in the last month or two. I was paying $1/lb for wheat bran in March, and it's $2/lb now. Is this just one store ripping me off, or is there really a global price explosion? Now, I'm not getting wholesale bags, just scooping it in a self-serve counter.

Blame it on climate change and right wing politics.

Climate change resulted in change in weather patterns worldwide. Farmers in UK said they experienced the worst weather in 40 yrs.

An unusually wet fall prevented them from planting their normal amount of crops. Then the waterloggeg soil prevented their wheat from producing a good crop. And if all that wasn’t bad enough, they had the rainiest February on record.

Their 2020 wheat harvest, which is in the marketplace now is down about 40% from normal.

Couple that with the failing of UK to reach trade agreements with all the counties following Brexit. Tariffs are between 20% - 50%. With severe shortages, imports of grains and grain-based products are in high demand. But with Covid there’s also shortages and demand for these products worldwide as well. So these pressures have been driving prices.

Reaction score
Thanks, that's interesting to know. Really quite striking how large an effect it has caused.

Reaction score
Its called hyperinflation, it was predicted.
Gas doubled in price in 6 months and that was predicted also.
Its politics.
Price of my house has almost doubled in 3 years since we bought it.

Ask a Question