Bread at home

Reaction score
What are some easy breads I can make at home? I need something diabetic proof as I was just diagnosed yesterday with it. I love bread and I would some healthier choices I can make at home.

Reaction score
The biggest thing we have to be careful when eating bread is that it is high in carbohydrates which turn into sugar. That is why we have to limit our carbs when we are diabetic. As for making regular bread and sweet breads, I just substitute either Splenda or Stevia for the sugar called for in the recipes.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your diagnoses. I have recently read that if a bread has the, 'Diabetic Living What To Eat' seal of approval, it will be better for you. This will mean every 2 slices of bread will be 150 calories or less, 3 grams total fat or less, 1.5 grams saturated fat or less, 0 grams trans fat, 30 grams carb or less, 300 mg sodium or less, and has at least 2 grams fiber. (It looks like Pepperidge Farm Light Style Oatmeal bread would fall under this category). So when you are baking a homemade bread, it would seem keeping track of the nutritional guidelines would be key. Maybe you can begin experimenting with substituting, etc. If you end up making something great - don't forget to post it. Happy baking!

Ask a Question