Bread Books: Which to Get, Which to Avoid?

J13

Reaction score
Making my way into the bread baking world, I’m beginning to see all the books on the topic. I’d like to know which, if any of them, are worth getting and reading for good tips, tricks and info. This with the caveat that I can’t afford a lot of them. So, I want the ones which will give me the most bang for the buck, and hopefully not cost me that many bucks. ;) Also, I’d prefer digital editions because there is honestly no more room in our house for actual books. Seriously. We spent all this year getting rid of books and we still have stacks of them on the floor of our library, in the corners of the bed room, etc.

One reason I’m asking about this is because I’ve lately come across are a trio of bread books by Richard Bertinet (inexpensive books!), and I’m wondering if they’re worth getting. They are “Dough,” “Crust,” and his latest, “Crumb.” Thoughts on him and his writings on bread?

And while we’re at it, are there any bread books I should *not* get? Ones that may have alluring covers, but offer bad advice, or are badly written, overly complicated, etc.

Reaction score
Making my way into the bread baking world, I’m beginning to see all the books on the topic. I’d like to know which, if any of them, are worth getting and reading for good tips, tricks and info. This with the caveat that I can’t afford a lot of them. So, I want the ones which will give me the most bang for the buck, and hopefully not cost me that many bucks. ;) Also, I’d prefer digital editions because there is honestly no more room in our house for actual books. Seriously. We spent all this year getting rid of books and we still have stacks of them on the floor of our library, in the corners of the bed room, etc.

One reason I’m asking about this is because I’ve lately come across are a trio of bread books by Richard Bertinet (inexpensive books!), and I’m wondering if they’re worth getting. They are “Dough,” “Crust,” and his latest, “Crumb.” Thoughts on him and his writings on bread?

And while we’re at it, are there any bread books I should *not* get? Ones that may have alluring covers, but offer bad advice, or are badly written, overly complicated, etc.

Peter Reinhart's the Bread Baker's Apprentice

His book is considered the best on bread for beginners. I don’t think there’s a better book out there for beginners.

Ask a Question