Bread for hot weather

Reaction score
I have recently moved to a warmer climate and will be going on a week long trip that will be similar to camping in the food department although we might have bungalows to stay in. It is very humid and I am worried about food going moldy but the local food is not trustworthy. Do you have any recipes for a 'hearty' bread that does not go bad easily?

Reaction score
The only bread I can think of with exceptional keeping qualities is sourdough, My loaves keep for a whole week, and are still good enough for sandwiches by about day 4. After that I use it for toast. I'm not sure whether you have a starter yourself or whether you could get some from someone else, but a sourdough loaf I feel would be the answer for your trip.

If sourdough is out of the question, you could add a tablespoon of regular white vinegar to your bread recipe as this is what the mass producers of bread use to inhibit mould growth in their breads, and give them a longer shelf life.

Reaction score
The only bread I can think of with exceptional keeping qualities is sourdough, My loaves keep for a whole week, and are still good enough for sandwiches by about day 4. After that I use it for toast. I'm not sure whether you have a starter yourself or whether you could get some from someone else, but a sourdough loaf I feel would be the answer for your trip.

If sourdough is out of the question, you could add a tablespoon of regular white vinegar to your bread recipe as this is what the mass producers of bread use to inhibit mould growth in their breads, and give them a longer shelf life.
Thanks! I'm going to try that. I do not know anyone with a starter though so I will have to try the vinegar recipe. I also found this online after I read your post:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog...wn-sourdough-starter-the-path-to-great-bread/
It was very interesting to me about 'throwing out half of the starter', I wonder if this is why so many know of a friend who can 'give them a starter', the way you said it, it seemed like I should have baker friends who have some. I would if I was currently back in North America, but I have not seen Sourdough bread yet in my current location, it must not be a French thing.

Ask a Question