Recommendations for Easy-to-Use Bread Lame

Reaction score
looking to buy a bread lame for slashing bread. i've used my husband exacto knife before but it wasn't exactly easy to use and i think after one use it was dulled up. i'm a little nervous to get a bread lame unless the blade is realitivly easy to change. i don't have great had strength and i've seen videos about changing blade on some of the lame's and they scare the heck out of me having to bend the razor blade and slip it on the handle looks like a disaster waiting to happen., recommendations? any one

Reaction score
@rubato456
I have a Mure & Payrot lame. It’s pretty easy to change the blade.

Just squeeze the tabs on the blade lock mechanism and lift it up. Pics and videos below.

The nice thing about a lame is it’s essentially 4 blades. Just rotate the blade around when the corner you are using gets dull.

I tried several lames, and I like the Mure & Payrot best. It’s ergonomic, has a blade cover, and easy to change the blade.

Breadtopia has decorative handle that’s cute, but not ergonomic and too long.

Matfer makes a very good lame, but it has a fixed blade, so it’s a one and done. My local restaurant supply store sells the for $10 each—way to expensive for a disposable product.

Lames are not super sturdy, so don’t expect a long life if you bake a lot.

In a pinch I stick a razor blade on the end of a chopstick or I use a sharp small serrated paring knife that I keep just for use to slash bread dough.

AAF5BBDB-6CC2-414F-8F52-8EC97D94CA7B.jpeg

Just squeeze the tabs and lift
6C8006CE-59A4-4F4F-B4B6-CD0022FA9133.jpeg

Reaction score
I tried to post a video showing me changing the blade, but it won’t load. Says it’s too big a file. Sorry.

Reaction score
thank you! funny i was thinking that this particular one you suggest might be a good option (was searching you tube videos) great minds think alike :)

Reaction score
looking to buy a bread lame for slashing bread. i've used my husband exacto knife before but it wasn't exactly easy to use and i think after one use it was dulled up. i'm a little nervous to get a bread lame unless the blade is realitivly easy to change. i don't have great had strength and i've seen videos about changing blade on some of the lame's and they scare the heck out of me having to bend the razor blade and slip it on the handle looks like a disaster waiting to happen., recommendations? any one

A small serrated paring knife will slice any bread.( not a steak knife).

Ask a Question