Bread Machines

Reaction score
I love making yeast breads of different kinds. My daughter gave me a bread machine because she thought it would make bread making so much easier even if I just used it to get the dough started and through the kneading stage. She even included a booklet she made of recipes she uses in hers.
Well,, to make a long story short I hate the thing. I can never get the bread to turn out with the right consistancy or taste. She has come over and used the identical recipe and has delicious bread come out of it.
We cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. She stood next to me and watch me add the ingredients, ect,,, but still no success. Does anyone have any idea as to what I am doing to mess this up?
In the meantime, I will just go back to doing yeast breads my hand.

Reaction score
I have a double pan bread machine, and I love it. I came with a recipe book, so I use that, since I have never had to work with a bread machine before.

If you are doing the exact same things your daughter does.......then Im not sure what to tell you.

Have you tried looking Youtube for bread machine "tricks of the trade" or how to use one?
Im sure they have tons of suggestions on there.

I have messed around with my bread machine, attempting to make different kinds of breads, using the recipes that came with it as a base to my concoctions. What I have found out so far, is NEVER make egg bread in a bread machine!!!! It rises up and runs out of the pan and into the bread machine! Took me two hours to clean my machine!!!!! ICK.

I have some friends who are my "Official Guinea Pigs" for my baking.....

I've made some strawberry bread which they liked. All I did was make the white bread recipe, put a couple drops of red food color in it, and two teaspoons of strawberry flavoring, and three tablespoons of brown sugar.

I've made beef jerky bread, which everybody loved. Although I didnt put enough jerky in it.
I used a sourdough recipe for this one and just added 1/4 cup pureed beef jerky. But I think even for the small loaves the bread machine makes, I would use 3/4 cup next time for each loaf.

I made holiday bread for presents last year. I made a sweet white bread with some dried cranberries, dried chopped apricots, and chopped walnuts in it, with a hint of nutmeg (allspice works too).

Pumpkin loaf is my favorite, so I make that for people every year.

I don't know if you are using the recipe book that came with the bread machine, or if it had one....but you can make cakes, jams, jellies, puddings, and even soup/stew in the bread machine I have.

But for suggestions, I would do some searches on bread machine problems, suggestions, recipes, etc....on Youtube and see if that doesn't help you out.

I'm a visual person, so it's hard for me to really be helpful if I can't see what is going on.

Ask a Question