Bread made with chicken feathers, what do you think about this ?

Reaction score
I was absolutely horrified when I read and article that says commercial bread is being made with things like processed hair and feathers in it as fillers to make it light and fluffy. Apparently, there is an amino acid in hair and feathers called L-cysteine (or something close to that) , and if you see it in the ingredient list of bread, then it probably means that they were processed and added to the bread.
Even worse, this ingredient is being shipped from China, where there are no regulations on this, so who knows where the hair and feathers even comes from, or how safely it is processed.
It was enough to make me say that I need to start making my own bread, after reading this article.

Reaction score
That's pretty gross. I'll have to check the ingredient lists of the sandwich bread I buy to see if it has that amino acid. I've heard that peanut butter isn't always 100 percent pure either.

Reaction score
Yikes. I don't think any food from China can be trusted at this point. (And most Chinese people would agree with me.) They have to really cut corners in order to make something cheap enough to ship to the other side of the world, and some of those corners are in safety regulations...

Reaction score
Yikes. I don't think any food from China can be trusted at this point. (And most Chinese people would agree with me.) They have to really cut corners in order to make something cheap enough to ship to the other side of the world, and some of those corners are in safety regulations...

I think many Chinese would agree with you ,since Chinese mothers have to smuggle in safe baby formula because a lot of baby formula in China is poisonous counterfeit stuff full of junk and babies have died from drinking it.

Reaction score
Urgh, that's disgusting. Even the title of this thread had my stomach turning! I wonder if this is just in US bread or whether it's worldwide? I'd heard they add things to bread to make it lighter and fluffier, but all I'd heard of is that they inject it with extra water or something like that. This is the reason I prefer making my own bread, and baking in general - you can guarantee what's going into it!

Reaction score
That's really gross! It definitely opens my eyes as to what we may be buying at the grocery store.The whole process of processing foods (Heh, play on words), is just so gross when you really look at it! It makes you think what else goes into the processed foods we eat daily. I'm definitely going to check the ingredients list from now on! Thank you for letting us know!

Reaction score
I was not aware of this. That is beyond gross and I know from working at a chicken processing plant that even chicken feet are a delicasy to the chinese but that needs to be labled very prominent so people know what is being added as a filler. I will be looking at all bought bread very closely from this point and may indeed start making my own.

Reaction score
Oh that is quite horrible. I did not know this. Makes a person think twice about eating anything that is store bought. Now I cannot get the thought out of my mind. I think we would all be alot healthier if we cut out processed foods period.

Reaction score
I will be checking the ingredients label from now on for that L-cysteine. Bird feathers by themselves in food are bad enough but the threat of the bird flu is scarey. I wonder if the bacteria get hot enough to die when baking the bread.

Reaction score
Eurgh! Thanks for that, I had no idea about looking out for that. How can that even be allowed to happen and get into food? That really is sickening! I'll be definitely checking everything I use from now on!

Reaction score
My stomach just did a whole series of flip flops and not in a pleasant way. :confused: That is disgusting!

That gives me one more reason to bake bread at home so I know exactly what ingredients are being used. I've even been thinking of buying a bread maker just to make the process less time consuming.

Reaction score
I understand that some peopel dont believe in wasting anything , but this is just over the top. It can't be healthy to eat bird geather Can you body even digest them? Have these birds been tesed for illness. Eating bird feather just to get lighter fluffer bread is a bad trade off. Who though of this process and how did they figure it out , sorry this just way out there.

Reaction score
Wow, just wow! I will start reading my labels for now on. I may even learn how to make bread myself and just start making it. It's sad how we can't trust anything anymore.

Reaction score
Christ, that's rather...icky to say the least. You'd think that somebody would be looking for this when it gets shipped into the country, even if China isn't regulating it on their end.

Reaction score
I used to work for a American snack food company and yes, the hygiene and quality control regulations are pretty strict. I believe that the L-cysteine in baked goods sold in the US has been approved by the FDA so obviously the government does not think there is anything wrong with adding it to food.

Cysteine is a non-essential amino acid that occurs naturally in the human body. It is also found in most high-protein foods like meat, poultry and eggs.

It is usually extracted from chicken feathers and even human hair, but the process removes everything else except the cysteine. So in the eyes of the FDA, it must be pure and food grade!

Reaction score
I used to work for a American snack food company and yes, the hygiene and quality control regulations are pretty strict. I believe that the L-cysteine in baked goods sold in the US has been approved by the FDA so obviously the government does not think there is anything wrong with adding it to food.

Cysteine is a non-essential amino acid that occurs naturally in the human body. It is also found in most high-protein foods like meat, poultry and eggs.

It is usually extracted from chicken feathers and even human hair, but the process removes everything else except the cysteine. So in the eyes of the FDA, it must be pure and food grade!
Well, it is certainly nice to hear from someone who has been inside the industry so to speak, since it puts our minds at ease so to speak. It's obviously not the nicest thing to think about, it coming from chicken and human hairs, but at least you're only getting the cysteine out of it really.

Ask a Question