Understanding Bread Making Machines

BML

Reaction score
I baked a loaf of bread today following a standard recipe and it seemed stodgy perhaps someone might offer a reason why. My daughter picked that disappointment to visit us and told me she used a Bread Making machine. Bearing in mind mixing the ingredients then kneading that mixture I have difficulty in understanding just how and just how effective a machine could be perhaps someone could enlighten me.

Reaction score
I baked a loaf of bread today following a standard recipe and it seemed stodgy perhaps someone might offer a reason why. My daughter picked that disappointment to visit us and told me she used a Bread Making machine. Bearing in mind mixing the ingredients then kneading that mixture I have difficulty in understanding just how and just how effective a machine could be perhaps someone could enlighten me.

A bread machine is just better than a novice baker at controlling the time and temperature during proofing and baking. It’s an very small enclosed environment; the heating element is controlled by computer, so it can hold the temperature more accurately than a oven. Bread machines don’t make great bread. They produce bread that is similar to the soft crust starchy bread in the grocery store. My SIL uses a bread machine all the time because she prefers that type of bread. But if you prefer a great crusty chewy bread like a boule, batard or baguette, you won’t get it from a bread machine.

BML

Reaction score
Many thanks for your post which answered a few of my questions. My interest in baking bread is driven by my exasperation at the ghastly mass produced plastic tasting bread from the supermarket and I have to try to do better than they do so in my search for knowledge I will possibly drive the forum mad.

My first question is the economics of home baking bread and its cost if it’s possible to find such an answer.

Reaction score
Here's mine!! :)
Breadman Bread Machine..jpg

BML

Reaction score
It looks smooth and I like gadgets but I need to explore the Machine versus the hands debate for a while if I can find it.

Reaction score
It's a nice cute little machine that mixes & bakes the dough. It was given to me new. I belive that it's discontinued now, & it was replaced by a newer machine. I mainly use the mixer to make dough for bread. :)

Reaction score
Many thanks for your post which answered a few of my questions. My interest in baking bread is driven by my exasperation at the ghastly mass produced plastic tasting bread from the supermarket and I have to try to do better than they do so in my search for knowledge I will possibly drive the forum mad.

My first question is the economics of home baking bread and its cost if it’s possible to find such an answer.

lol you definitely won’t be happy with product produced from a bread machine because it just produces the same type of bread did you get from the supermarket.

I don’t think it’s cheaper to bake excellent bread at home. When you invest in quality flours, The price is slightly higher than the retail flours. And then there are the varieties. I stock about a dozen different flours in my pantry.

I bake for the love of baking. I can’t even eat gluten anymore.

if you’re interested in learning about bread baking I would recommend Jeffrey Hamelman‘s book Bread. There’s no fancy pictures. Just a lot of really expert information on bread. One of the most highly regarded experts on bread in the country. He’s actually the director of education for King Arthur flour as well.

you cannot get a crust like this in a bread machine
58634A03-CC94-4D77-8AB9-5CC8D8A93578.jpeg

notice the difference in color of the crumb. This is blending different flours for flavor and nutrition. Both of these baguettes are delicious but the one with the darker crumb I can tell you is much more delicious than the lighter crumb. This is the joy of baking your own bread.
CFD70C02-EB7E-4D82-9061-53201CE58C66.jpeg

Ask a Question