Bread method/procedures

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I want to ask a question, please. Can one procedure or method be use to make soft dinner rolls, sandwich bread, bran bread, wholemeal (wheat) bread, sugar bread (sweet dough)? In other words, since they're different doughs, are they to be made with different methods or the same method for all. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I want to ask a question, please. Can one procedure or method be use to make soft dinner rolls, sandwich bread, bran bread, wholemeal (wheat) bread, sugar bread (sweet dough)? In other words, since they're different doughs, are they to be made with different methods or the same method for all. Thank you.

Hello Akos, when you say method, I assume you mean mixing method. The answer is no. An enriched dough like brioche or challah require the fat to worked into the dough. This process is different from the mixing of a sandwich loaf or wholemeal loaf. A sourdough with a preferment is mixed different from straight dough. High hydration doughs cannot be kneaded, so a stretch and fold technique is used to develop gluten.

Wholemeal is problematic in that the bran cuts through the gluten network when the dough is mixed. So care must be taken in how it is mixed. Same goes for any ad—ins such as dried fruit, seeds, and/or nuts to bread and rolls.

I responded to the email you sent me earlier today; in my response I recommended a baking book that I thought might be helpful given all that you have going on right now.

Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt response. When you say the fat is worked in the dough, is it to be added at the end? How should the bran be worked in if using only bread flour and the wheat bran? I can't get wholemeal flour here.

Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt response. When you say the fat is worked in the dough, is it to be added at the end? How should the bran be worked in if using only bread flour and the wheat bran? I can't get wholemeal flour here.

Brioche: yes the fat is worked into the dough at the end.

Wholemeal: bran is in wholemeal flour. Extraction rate is the percentage of the wheat kernel used to mill the flour. So 100% extraction means 100% of the kernel is used. 70% extraction is 70% of the kernel.

The kernel is p of bran, endosperm and germ.

Wholemeal flour is 100% extraction because 100% of the kernel is used to mill the flour. It contains all of the bran, endosperm, and germ.

all purpose flour is 70% extraction because a portion of the brand and germ is remove. So only 70% of the kernel is extracted to mill
the flour.

You cannot make a wholemeal flour because you do not know the percentage of bran and germ in the all purpose flour

Ask a Question