Bread on day two...

Reaction score
I bake my bread and its wonderful. I love it! Its perfect that first day. I pack the Hubbsters lunch and we eat toast or just buttered bread. We always go back for more because its great. Day two it starts to crumble. I realize that part of homemade bread is the fact that it lacks all the preseservitives that I am trying not to eat but I know there has to be a way. How do you make a sandwich bread that is still good for sandwiches the next few days? I dont mind baking twice a week but every day might kill me.

Reaction score
Have you tried refrigerating the loaf after its first slicing? Freezing it might do better, but then it's not so convenient for immediate consumption.

Reaction score
I agree with limcid that refrigerating will help. I know many don't like this idea, but I warm up the slices in a toaster oven and they taste great even after the frig.

Reaction score
I keep the bread that we have already cut into in zip lock bags in the refrigerator and freeze any uneaten bread. I can just take it out of the freezer and thaw it out on the counter and it tastes just like I made it that same day.

Reaction score
Our house doesn't, really, have this issue. Fresh bread, more often than not, is eaten that day. If we don't finish it off by dinner, at least, one of us will have a peanut butter and jam sandwich before bed.

In the event a slice or two is left over, it's toasted the next morning and eaten for breakfast. I like the idea of putting left over bread in the refrigerator, though; especially since we toast it anyways.

Reaction score
Leftover bread? Not a big deal, you can either refrigerate it and toast it next time and spread with peanut butter and jelly or you can shred them and mix them in your pudding. But if I've left it in the fridge for much too long, I could just toast it and grind until it's refined and I will use it as breading for my chicken or pork chop.

Ask a Question