Bread Pudding from old French bread

Reaction score
I used to make a lot of (modified) English-style bread pudding from old pieces of French bread. This is my recipe:

About 5-8 slices of day-old bread
2 whole beaten eggs
A handful of raisins
2 cups of milk
3/4 cups of sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla pod (I got mine from a trip to Madagascar but feel free to substitute with vanilla extract)

1.Warm the milk over a gentle flame and add the cinnamon stick and the vanilla pod (I slice mine lengthwise and gently scrape off the flesh before dumping everything into the milk).

3.Add the sugar, stir the milk and as soon as it starts to bubble slightly, turn off the heat and let it sit to allow the flavors to infuse.

4.Leave the milk for at least 2 hours to cool and infuse. You could also prepare the milk mixture overnight and let it sit in the fridge to fully develop the amazing vanilla and cinnamon aromas.

5. Preheat the oven to 360 degrees F.

6. Tear the bread into small pieces and place in your baking pan. Mix the milk mixture with the whole beaten eggs and pour it into the baking pan, making sure to cover the bread pieces.

7. Pour the melted butter and sprinkle the raisins on top.

8. Bake for 45 minutes.

Reaction score
This recipe sounds good but ever since working at KFC and knowing what they did to their bread pudding, I've not eaten bread putting since. It's been 15 years ago. Making the stuff myself, I can trust that I know what goes in it and how long it sits before throwing away.

Reaction score
This recipe sounds good but ever since working at KFC and knowing what they did to their bread pudding, I've not eaten bread putting since. It's been 15 years ago. Making the stuff myself, I can trust that I know what goes in it and how long it sits before throwing away.

KFC makes bread pudding? But they don't sell bread. Did they make it out of the buttermilk biscuits? I'm afraid to ask what they did to their bread pudding.
I don't think one bad experience should stop you from making your own bread pudding.

Reaction score
I never knew they made bread pudding! KFC doesn't make and sell them where I'm from but I believe it when you say that you don't want to eat them anymore because you know what they put inside them. It's one of the main reasons why I avoid fast food nowadays. You never know what's really in your food!

Reaction score
On the other side of that, one of the best bread puddings that i ever had in my whole life was from a restaurant. It was not fast food though, so that probably makes a big difference.
This place made their own bread and huge cinnamon rolls. When they had leftover cinnamon rolls, they also used those, along with the day old bread or rolls, to make their bread pudding. It was just the right sweetness, and the cinnamon rolls added that delicious spicy taste to the bread pudding, and they must have used rich cream in it as well, along with the milk, as it was just really rich. It didn't take much to be satisfying, it was so good.

Reaction score
This sounds delicious and I actually have some french bread from a couple nights ago that I was going to throw out. I think I may try this recipe today. I have never made bread pudding so I will let you know how it turns out.

Reaction score
Not all KFCs do. I just assumed that it was pre-made and reheated in the store. It's never looked good, so I never bothered to try it.

DiLupo, that recipe looks good, though. I love using crusty old french bread for bread pudding.

Reaction score
Yeah, personally I wouldn't trust KFC and other fast food style restaurants to be making good baked goods. Not that you should really trust them to make good food either, but they're usually at least somewhat good at their advertised food.

Looks rather nice, although I've never considered using old french stick. Might have to try this now the next time we have some, although it usually gets devoured in our house.

Reaction score
You can use any kind of hard dry loaves. I actually prefer large loaves of bread so you have a larger area to work with (I use big baking trays). This also maximizes the amount of the egg and milk mixture that gets soaked in by the bread.

Yes, staying clear of KFC and other fast foods is quite a good idea, I totally agree with that!

Reaction score
You can use any kind of hard dry loaves. I actually prefer large loaves of bread so you have a larger area to work with (I use big baking trays). This also maximizes the amount of the egg and milk mixture that gets soaked in by the bread.

Yes, staying clear of KFC and other fast foods is quite a good idea, I totally agree with that!
Does using different kinds of bread change the flavour have you found, or is it mostly the same?

Reaction score
On the other side of that, one of the best bread puddings that i ever had in my whole life was from a restaurant. It was not fast food though, so that probably makes a big difference.
This place made their own bread and huge cinnamon rolls. When they had leftover cinnamon rolls, they also used those, along with the day old bread or rolls, to make their bread pudding. It was just the right sweetness, and the cinnamon rolls added that delicious spicy taste to the bread pudding, and they must have used rich cream in it as well, along with the milk, as it was just really rich. It didn't take much to be satisfying, it was so good.

I've never thought of making bread pudding with cinnamon rolls before, but why not? I'd love to have a bakery and just have all the bread around me. Bread pudding is a great way to use up leftovers, and lovely comfort food on rainy days.

Reaction score
I absolutely love bread pudding but I've never had the opportunity to make it myself. I always thought that it was a lot more involved than it is. Now that I know that it can be made pretty easily like that, I might have to give it a try in the near future.

Ask a Question