Bread recipes from the Middle Ages

Reaction score
That was a really interesting read! I've never attempted any old recipes before (well not knowingly), I like the sound of the bread made with beer though! There are loads of really old buildings in the UK, and you'll sometimes find themed events taking place where they have people making bread in traditional ways etc. It's always fascinating to see how life used to be - makes you feel very lucky for all the little luxuries that we take for granted nowadays!

Reaction score
I saw a documentary about the medieval days and the lack of bathing and that entire time period creeps me out. I'm glad we have modern things like self rising flour. I don't think I would ever try any historical recipes because of the amount of extra work involved.

Reaction score
What a cool article! I love reading about things like this. Even though I'm Catholic and was raised with communion my whole life, I never even realized how far bread dates back. It all makes sense, though! It's also interesting that there was almost sort of a "bread etiquette" back then, and you had to ask for your bread with your hands a certain way. I guess bread means much more to our culture than we thought!

Ask a Question