Bread scoring

Reaction score
One of the problems I'm having trying to score my bread top is the blade does not cut the skin but drags it without actually penetrating the top. Could it b that I have over-proofed my dough and that it is not firm enough to score?

Reaction score
One of the problems I'm having trying to score my bread top is the blade does not cut the skin but drags it without actually penetrating the top. Could it b that I have over-proofed my dough and that it is not firm enough to score?
Maybe. Or you are not at the correct angle. Or your blade is dull. Or you are hesitating.

Reaction score
Thank you very much the instructive video. I will try again next time I make a loaf using a new razor blade.

Reaction score
Thank you very much the instructive video. I will try again next time I make a loaf using a new razor blade.

Keep in mind a razor isn’t the only cutting tool used for scoring. Bakers use a quality serrated knife and/or scissors to score bread as well. I’ve used all of them. experiment and find what works best for you.

Reaction score

a new is required blade every time, the edge corrodes after slicing dough.
You can slash 1000 baguettes with a new blade, the next day the blade is no good.
You can also slice just one loaf and the blade will still be no good the next day.

I much prefer the victorinox stainless serrated pairing knife, it will never corrode or go blunt. Buy once, cry once.

Reaction score
a new is required blade every time, the edge corrodes after slicing dough.
You can slash 1000 baguettes with a new blade, the next day the blade is no good.
You can also slice just one loaf and the blade will still be no good the next day.

I much prefer the victorinox stainless serrated pairing knife, it will never corrode or go blunt. Buy once, cry once.

I do have a sharp serrated knife and when I scored the dough it immediately deflated. What caused this?

Reaction score
I do have a sharp serrated knife and when I scored the dough it immediately deflated. What caused this?

Most likely going too deep on a dough that was over-proofed.

If you are not practicing Desired Dough Temperature (DDT) in mixing AND using strategies to control temperature during fermentation and proofing, then I would recommend you do so.

Controlling temperature has so much to do with final product. When I made this baguette, pretty much all the technique was rushed. The only details that were not compromised were temperature controls. And that’s why I was still able to produce such a nice product.

53D378F0-67D7-4F57-AA0F-31F82E7B9E34.jpeg

This video link to the Perfect Loaf below goes into more detail on scoring. Maurizio Leo just published a book on bread. I don’t recommend very many cookbooks, but I highly recommend his book. I purchased two copies, one for myself, and one to give us a gift. It’s an excellent book.

The book explains the entire sourdough breadmaking process from beginning to end. It’s really beautifully organized, with a quick reference guide in the front.

But even if you don’t want to buy his book, his blog contains a lot of very useful information.

Reaction score
the dough is too weak, you don't say what type of bread but the short answer, whenever I had this problem (only twice) the F&B buyer bought me the wrong (weak) flour. Switch to high gluten flour, it won't collapse if properly developed.
This assumes you aren't over proofing, dough too warm etc.

Ask a Question