Bread Storage

Reaction score
I usually use left over bags from store bought bread to keep my home made bread in,but i have ran out of those :) i'm down to using cling wrap and it is a bit of a pain to use,it does take 2 good size sheets to wrap em up and the gallon sized freezer bags are to small,I need a bag the size of a pack of hamburger or hot dog bun

what do ya'll do ? I would like a cheap way to store my bread,but I'm not sure there is a way,other than the cling wrap ,any Ideas would be helpful

and I don't want to be buying Bread from the store,just to have a bag for my homemade Bread lol I'm trying to start just using home baked goodies and get away from the store bought stuff

I do need a good recipe for hamburger and hot dog buns too :)

Reaction score
I've never actually made my own bread from scratch! So I've never had to think about how I would store it. Would it dry out too much in a bread box?

Reaction score
We do not make breads from scratch and we are just buying it in a bakeshop. And to keep the bread fresh up to their expiry date we are just putting it in a dry or air tight container.

Reaction score
Have you thought of using a tight container? A friend of mine uses one of those to keep her bread fresh. It seems to have worked pretty well fro her. I don't know how much bread we are really talking about though, I am guessing a lot?

Reaction score
i need something that will hold a loaf and maybe some other types,but not a whole lot,it will dry out fast cupcakechef and start to mold fairly easy too,home made bread doesn't last long,since it doesn't have all the additives

and why I didn't think of getting some Tupperware (plastic containers) I have no idea :),but that is what I need

other than the rise time for the dough,I can make it faster than I can get to a store and save a lot of gas money by making my own,I do live out in the sticks,it is about a 40 minute drive to get to the closest grocery store, round trip and there isn't much to choose from bread wise,it is a small grocery store and to get to a bigger one is a 90 minute drive round trip

I'm starting to make some decent bread finally and have decided to just bake more , I'm not sure if it is me learning more or finding recipes that like me :) or the Kitchen Aid stand mixer I have now,but it is starting to click now

hey my biscuits even rise now,now if I can just make some good freezer biscuits

Reaction score
i need something that will hold a loaf and maybe some other types,but not a whole lot,it will dry out fast cupcakechef and start to mold fairly easy too,home made bread doesn't last long,since it doesn't have all the additives

Good point - I hadn't even considered the fact that home made bread doesn't have all those preservatives and additives that store bought breads often have. Hopefully you'll work out a solution! :)

Reaction score
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/teriyaki-chicken-bok-choy

See if that helps. As for me, I am not doing the freezer thing. I have not had bread in a week or two. I am happy about that. I don't buy it and I've attempted it once and it was nearly a major fail. In no time it was hard as rock so my way to deal with it was to slip it into breakfast for my son and husband before it could be used as a weapon.

They say bread is fattening but I could eat it everyday, every minute that's why I am glad when my husband doesn't buy it.

Reaction score
Back home, we would leave our bread (multiple types) in bags in a wicker basket, but here, even the store bought bread starts to mold after one day. This is a very humid climate, so I store mine in the refrigerator. I second the suggestion of Tupperware. I'm actually going to start looking for a few more pieces of it myself. I like the older Tupperware, it's very sturdy and durable, and works well in the freezer, too.

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Winterybella, post: 24884, member: 974"

See if that helps. As for me, I am not doing the freezer thing. I have not had bread in a week or two. I am happy about that. I don't buy it and I've attempted it once and it was nearly a major fail. In no time it was hard as rock so my way to deal with it was to slip it into breakfast for my son and husband before it could be used as a weapon.

They say bread is fattening but I could eat it everyday, every minute that's why I am glad when my husband doesn't buy it.[/QUOTE]

I posted the wrong link in my previous message. Here is the correct one. http://www.chatelaine.com/recipes/c...-keeping-bread-fresh-the-fridge-is-the-enemy/

Reaction score
A friend of mine who is working in another foreign country said to me that the people there are storing their breads in the refrigerator at once after they had bought it in a bakeshop or after they had made their own breads. You just have to take the bread out from the refrigerator what you will eat and then heat it before eating. And one thing the bread can last even up to one week or more days if you will store them in the refrigerator.

Reaction score
how can you survive a week or two without some bread bella ? :) I want some every meal along with a hunk of meat lol

and thanks to everybody for the suggestions

Ask a Question