Gluten-free breading alternatives for fried chicken and shrimp

Reaction score
Have you ever experimented with different grains you could use to make a batter for something like fried chicken, breaded chicken strips, shrimp ect?

I have never seen gluten free versions of these kind of foods in stores, so I don't really know what grains would be the best to try. I know rice is a great one for a lot of things, but I don't know if it would hold together. Anyone have experience?

Reaction score
They make rice flour and this could be used for breading if you are interested in trying out a rice breading of some sort. I usually dip my meat in flour (whatevery kind of flour you want to use) and then give it a dip in an egg and milk bath (some people use buttermilk though). After this, you then dip the meat in your breading. My new favorite breading is Panko crumbs, but you can make breading out of any sort of bread crumb really. I don't think whole wheat breading would taste right with chicken or anything.

Reaction score
I've used plenty of "premade homemades" as I call them. Using Italian Bread Crumbs and adding your own spices/more flour to thicken it up. Using "Shake-n-bake" prepackages and using the same aforementioned spices.

Reaction score
I use whole wheat flour or cornmeal. I've also used crushed Cheerios and once...crushed Doritos. LOL (Don't knock it til you've tried it ;)) I know...not exactly gluten-free but what I'm getting at is looking around...you may find something you never thought of before. ;):)

Reaction score
I love using cornmeal and ''maizena'' for making onion rings! They are yummy! Not sure if the maizena would work so well for breading, I tried it once and the result was a bit odd. Nothing beats ground crackers in my opinion, at least when it comes to breading fish.

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, we have used potato chips for breading as well and I believe those are gluten free. The chips go well for breading fish and seafood. It has been a long time since I have made potato chip breaded fish so I forgot about it. We normally used the regular plain chips, but I bet the salt and vinegar ones would be good too because they are tangy.

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, we have used potato chips for breading as well and I believe those are gluten free. The chips go well for breading fish and seafood. It has been a long time since I have made potato chip breaded fish so I forgot about it. We normally used the regular plain chips, but I bet the salt and vinegar ones would be good too because they are tangy.
Now you've got me wondering. I've seen those "healthy" veggies chips and straws. I've only tried a straw once and it wasn't bad (I thought it would taste horrible to be honest). I wonder if those will work as well. I've used crushed Doritos but now I'm wondering about these veggie snacks.

Reaction score
Those are some great ideas. Although I don't care for doritos at all, I may investigate some of the vegetable chips. I really like those a chips so maybe they would make a nice coating.

Reaction score
Aside from my flour mixture and spices I am using a Japanese bread crumbs as breading for my fried chicken and also to my shrimp tempura, vegetable tempura and pizza roll. I had tested it for a long time already and it works out for me.

Reaction score
Those are some great ideas. Although I don't care for doritos at all, I may investigate some of the vegetable chips. I really like those a chips so maybe they would make a nice coating.

I just ended up looking into this, and I don't like doritos myself - but they turned out lovely when baked upon a nice meat bath. We breaded porkchops in this method and my good lord it was delightful. Easily a do-over. I could see veggie chips adding a nice burst of flavor too.

Ask a Question