Breakfast cookies or bars?

Reaction score
I am looking to save some money and do not wish to buy the packaged breakfast bars from the store any longer. Does anyone have any good recipes they would like to share. My ideas is to make a bunch of bars and cookies and freeze them for a homemade grab and go breakfast.

Reaction score
I used to do this often, when all the kids were still home. They still talk about my homemade granola bars, lol. I made one with granola cereal. Another was really "pantry cooking" (using up whatever is in the pantry at the end of the week) when I was low on funds and supplies. I adapted an oatmeal cookie recipe and I would add all those last little bits of cereal in the boxes that were never quite enough for a whole bowl. Instead of drop cookies, I then made bars. It worked great.

Reaction score
Hi Tina,
The easiest breakfast bars I've ever made are from Nigella Lawson.
They use sweetened condensed milk (not the healthiest, but YUM!). I have made them with traditional SCM, but also with homemade SCM that I made from cooking down coconut milk and honey. I prefer the latter, but the process was a bit more time consuming.
You can customize these to your liking and the possibilities are vast! I like pumpkin seeds, cranberries and coconut. And they freeze well. I take one out when I get up and it's at a perfect temperature when I leave the house about an hour later. Car treats!

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/breakfast-bars-55

http://crunchymama.net/homemade-condensed-milk-paleo-gluten-free-dairy-free/

Reaction score
I love this idea (and wish I'd thought of it!). Thank you for making this thread and thank you for providing various recipes. I am going to get started on experimenting with them. My kids leave at 6:00 am for the bus, and this would be just the thing to have to munch on during the bus ride. They hate having a real breakfast so early in the morning. I think they'd be great for an after-school snack as well.

Ask a Question