Brown Sugar Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting

Reaction score
My kids LOVE to cook, their dad is a chef so they want to be in the kitchen all of the time. I am constantly looking for recipes that they will enjoy helping me cook. This is one of their favorites.

Brown Sugar Cookies with a Touch of Whole Wheat
1 cup butter, softened at room temperature for an hour
2 ounces cream cheese (1/4 of a standard cream cheese package)
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and cream cheese with the sugar. Cream until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla and almond extracts, and lemon zest, and beat until lightened and creamy.
Add the flours, baking powder, and salt to the creamed butter mixture and beat just until well-combined.
Prepare a large cookie sheet (or two) by lining with wax paper. Pat the dough out on the wax paper then cover with another sheet of wax paper and roll to an even thickness. (I've made these as thin as an eighth of an inch, and as thick as half an inch; it's up to you.)
Put in the fridge for about an hour or until the dough is firm to the touch.
Heat the oven to 350°F. Prepare another large cookie sheet (or two, or three) by lining with parchment paper. Take out the dough and peel off the top layer of wax paper. Cut out cookie shapes and lay on the prepared cookie sheet.
Bake cookies for 8-12 minutes, depending on thickness. Thinner cookies will start to brown after about 8 minutes. I find that these are best when cut thick and then just slightly undercooked; they will hold their shape and not break, but they will still be soft and toothsome.
Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack. Let cool completely before frosting and decorating.

Reaction score
The name alone is yummy.. I adore brown sugar anything! lol. This looks delicious.. I might whip it up for visiting family (they hate gluten free everything lol)

Reaction score
WOW! These cookies sound absolutely delectable. On Christmas Eve we are going to bake Christmas Cookies and a Cake. I think I may give these a try!

My kids love to cook. My toddler helped my oldest make waffles this morning. It was really cute. I think I will have to start taking pictures of their experiences! It is a joy to see them enjoying cooking at such a young age! Thank you for sharing this recipe. Do you have other recipes that you can recommend for our Christmas Eve Celebration?

-Missy Bea.

Reaction score
These cookies sound fantastic! They also seem fairly easy to make. I love that they include whole wheat! That is a nice addition! And I especially love brown sugar! I love the smell and flavor it has!
This is a definite must-try recipe for me!

Ask a Question