Brownie toppings and additions?

Reaction score
So what do you toss into or on top of your brownies to make them extra special? I ask because last week I bought a brownie at an Irish festival that had this delicious Bailey's Irish Cream frosting (which I must find and test a recipe for, for inclusion in my future book about frostings). Another suggestion that was popular when I was a kid was melting York Peppermint Patties on top. Your suggestions?

Reaction score
Oooh both of those toppings sound yummy!

Things I've tried in the past are crushed Oreos, and melted peanut butter drizzled over the top (before you put it in the oven). Not together of course! Although they probably would work together... hmm that's got me thinking!

There is a recipe that I want to try - chocolate brownie base, topped with a white chocolate peppermint ganache, topped with a thin layer of plain chocolate ganache. They look really yummy, although the recipe has a very thick layer of the white chocolate mint ganache so I would probably make it a bit thinner.

I really like a mix of textures when it comes to brownies, so nuts, chocolate chips etc are always popular with me :D

Reaction score
I personally prefer not to add toppings to my brownies. However, I love adding chocolate chip cookie dough into the brownie pan right before baking! Hm....I wonder if it's possible to make chocolate chip cookie dough frosting...

Reaction score
So what do you toss into or on top of your brownies to make them extra special? I ask because last week I bought a brownie at an Irish festival that had this delicious Bailey's Irish Cream frosting (which I must find and test a recipe for, for inclusion in my future book about frostings). Another suggestion that was popular when I was a kid was melting York Peppermint Patties on top. Your suggestions?

I usually like to put m & M's or sprinkles, herseys kisses or a butter cream frosting , it just depends on the mood I'm in I guess.

Reaction score
I have never even thought of topping brownies with some of these suggestions.
Things I've tried in the past are crushed Oreos, and melted peanut butter drizzled over the top (before you put it in the oven). Not together of course! Although they probably would work together... hmm that's got me thinking!
My not-so-secret guilty pleasure is Oreos with peanut butter smeared on them. Together on top of brownies sounds heavenly. I will have to try this.

Reaction score
One of my favorite things to add to brownies are the new Reese's mini chocolate peanut butter cups. They are the perfect size and add a wonderful little punch to your brownies. This simple little addition turns regular brownies in to something special with very little effort. When people bite in to them they get a unexpected surprise.

Reaction score
My mother sometimes adds a little slice of butter on top of her warm brownies for a little added flavor. My dad likes to smear peanut butter on his brownie and let it melt in the microwave so the warm peanut butter serves as icing. I do sometimes add a little whip cream, chocolate chips and chocolate syrup to my brownies. But really, I enjoy brownies by themselves, and don't always need a topping. :) As long as I have a glass of milk or ice cream, I don't always need toppings. :)

Reaction score
I'd definitely go for nuts as toppings on brownies. If you're gonna serve it on a nice plate, I would say you heat up the brownie and put ice cream, fudge, and whipped cream on top.

Maybe you could even surround the plate with some bananas and strawberry's and swizzle some fudge around that as well.

Reaction score
I like all the choices that are available in the baking aisle these days, from Heath toffee chips to Andes mint bits. My favorites are the toffee bits and sometimes I also mix in chopped up caramel candies so that there's melted caramel in the brownies when you bit into them.

Reaction score
I like to add pecans or candy bar pieces. I love to add flavors to my frosting like mint or peanut butter and it really spices up my brownies. I usually add things to the brownies based on why I'm making them. I just made some with cinnamon on them and they were a hit.

Reaction score
Chocolate chip are always a good one, but sometimes I add Hershey's Kisses or M&Ms to give them a little extra crunch!

Reaction score
Actually, building upon the Baileys Irish Cream idea, if you can find a recipe for some sort of creamy topping that incorporates liquor - there are a bunch of different ones you can try out, the list is nearly endless. A few others that came to mind: Frangelica, which is a hazel nut flavored liquer for a peanut butter cup type flavor profile. Chambord, which is a raspberry liquer - think of a creamy raspberry topping over dark chocolate brownies.... Grand Marnier would be good too in a creamy frosting - it's a concentrated orange flavored liquor, orange and chocolate pair well together too.

Or what about some sort of crumbled nut brittle? Like a buttered rum nut brittle.

You could also go a "truffle" route, and make a ganache to spread over top of the brownies, then dust the top with even more cocoa powder - just like a truffle.

Reaction score
For my toppings, I like adding Cookie Butter spread or Nutella even. After that I like to add the little marshmallows and chocolate sprinkles. Sometimes, when I can't control my sweet tooth, I add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and then a layer of chocolate syrup. Yum! Anything sweet and chocolate-y gets me going. :)

Reaction score
I actually don't like icing on my brownies, so I'm way more likely to mix things in instead....or put a crunchy item on top.

For example, I love doing turtle brownies where I swirl in caramel and sprinkle the top with pecans. Or I'll mix chocolate chips directly into the brownies and then add M&Ms to the top for the crunch. I did a smores brownie once that was pretty good, too, with graham cracker bits, marshmallows, and extra chocolate.

Reaction score
Oh my goodness, that Bailey's sounds delicious! I love brownies, but I'm so sad because my doctor took me off of gluten this week. It is killing me inside! I love hot fudge on brownies with some ice cream. I used to work at Baskin Robbins as a teen and used to eat a brownie sundae almost everyday!

Ask a Question