Brownies in a textured pan...

Reaction score
Hey! First post.

I'm making Betty Crocker fudge brownies in this:
k2-_8d8b0e27-5636-4637-9cfb-964117e2a2b9.v1.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14913050?...66732632&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=86179817072&veh=sem

The first time I did several years ago, no problem. A few days ago, disaster. We were eating chunks out of the pan that got stuck. I used regular Pam the last time and this time got Baker's Joy with flour.

Will this work better for me? Foil liners and parchment are no good as I lose the texture of the pan.

Any help is appreciated!

-Dave

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Dave! :)

I think your best bet would be to heavily butter the pan and dust it with cocoa powder. A silicone pan would probably be easier though!

Reaction score
Agreed about the silicone. I love my muffin cups and bundt pan... But I gotta work with what I've got.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Reaction score
I have a few similar pans like that which I use for cakes, and heavily buttering them has always worked well. I prefer butter over oil - seems to work okay for me, but finicky pans like that always require a lot to get in all the little crevices!

Reaction score
Most of my bakeware is shaped in one form or another.

I always have used a bakers spray coating (with flour) in all of my pans, including this type.
I have never had any problems.

Of course, then again........I use my "tricks of the trade".

Place the pan in the freezer while you are making your batter.

Once the batter is made and ready to pour into the pan, take the pan out of the freezer and spray a really thick coating of the spray into the pan. The cold will keep a lot of the spray from running down into the bottom of the pan instead of staying stuck to the sides.

Quickly pour your batter into the pan and stick it in the oven.

When the brownie/cake comes out of the oven, lightly tap the sides of the pan and tap the bottom of the pan on the counter. This will help loosen it while its hot. (I jiggle mine, but thats a trick I've learned on my own accord over the years and has to be jiggled correctly)

Once it has been loosened, you can let it cool down a bit, then put a plate over the top and flip it, tap it again and it should come out of the pan.

If you let it completely cool in the pan, you run the risk of it resticking to the pan, especially with brownies.

I've used several baking sprays over the years, and I've come to like this one the best....
large_56a54e98-21ee-45e4-8617-6b28f4b3182d.jpg

I have actually found that a lot of Safeway brand baking and cooking products are better than the expensive named brand ones.

I have used the Safeway brand for a few years now, and I have never ever had anything stick to the pan.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Success!!!

Thanks to everyone for their advice! 48min @ 325 seems to be the secret along with the spray pictured!

Flipped the pan after 3 min of cooling.

Attachments

• IMG_20151210_195546975.jpg
    IMG_20151210_195546975.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 393
Reaction score
Success!!!

Thanks to everyone for their advice! 48min @ 325 seems to be the secret along with the spray pictured!

Flipped the pan after 3 min of cooling.

Ok, so where's MY piece????

LOL

Glad it worked out for you!
Once you get the "hang" of working with shaped pans, you can pretty much bake anything in any kind of pan with no problems!

Reaction score
Amazing! :) Thanks so much for sharing a photo with us! Although the downside is that now I can't stop thinking about chocolate brownies... ;)

Reaction score
I make mine always in a glass pan, a squared one with soft round edges and it works great. You should really consider investing in a pyrex one, they are not expensive at all and you can use it for baking all sorts of stuff. I like them even better than the metal pans.

Reaction score
I make mine always in a glass pan, a squared one with soft round edges and it works great. You should really consider investing in a pyrex one, they are not expensive at all and you can use it for baking all sorts of stuff. I like them even better than the metal pans.

I have one of those. I used to make tons of chicken pot pies, and it was the perfect size for making them for myself.
I've gotten away from chicken pot pies in the past few years, so I haven't used it much. And usually when I make brownies, I make them in a disposable aluminum pan.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Dave! :)

I think your best bet would be to heavily butter the pan and dust it with cocoa powder. A silicone pan would probably be easier though!

Wow, that's a great idea, @Becky. I have had issues myself with baked goods sticking in pans, and it never occurred to me to use cocoa powder. I have tried the Baker's Joy with the flour, and have found that to be much better than plain Pam spray, but I think Becky's got a winning idea there with the cocoa powder. I'm definitely going to try that next time I make brownies or a chocolate cake. I might even try it with other cakes, to add a bit of uniqueness.

Reaction score
Wow, that's a great idea, @Becky. I have had issues myself with baked goods sticking in pans, and it never occurred to me to use cocoa powder. I have tried the Baker's Joy with the flour, and have found that to be much better than plain Pam spray, but I think Becky's got a winning idea there with the cocoa powder. I'm definitely going to try that next time I make brownies or a chocolate cake. I might even try it with other cakes, to add a bit of uniqueness.

Thanks! It's commonly done with melting middle chocolate puddings as a way to prevent them from sticking to the mould - obviously you wouldn't want flour around the outside as it would ruin the look :)

Ask a Question