Budget friendly & simple sweets for the summer!

Reaction score
Does anyone have any quick and budget friendly recipes for the summer? I'm looking for something that doesn't hurt the pocket. I'm also looking for something that can be done very quickly!

Reaction score
Whenever warm weather starts to annoy me, I make a no-bake icebox cake. It's essentially graham crackers--whole and layered, if you have a container for them that you can put in the freezer, I don't bother with the crushed grahams in butter and sugar crust but you can if you want to... and, whatever fruit is in season, covered with heavy cream and just stuck in the freezer between layers of graham crackers. It takes about two hours to freeze solid.

Reaction score
That sounds very easy delicious Ellyn! I have also seen an ice cream sandwich cake recently that taste really good and looked easy to make. Ice cream sandwiches are on sale in my area right now (just bought a box the other day so the kids would stop whining about the heat:). The cake is just made from ice cream sandwiches and frosting.

Reaction score
If you have a connection for inexpensive and yummy summer fruits you can make crisps, crumbles and cobblers.
Some cities have listings (check Craigslist) for free fruit from people who are overwhelmed by their prolific trees. Fruit is everywhere...let's pick it and bake!

Reaction score
Whenever warm weather starts to annoy me, I make a no-bake icebox cake. It's essentially graham crackers--whole and layered, if you have a container for them that you can put in the freezer, I don't bother with the crushed grahams in butter and sugar crust but you can if you want to... and, whatever fruit is in season, covered with heavy cream and just stuck in the freezer between layers of graham crackers. It takes about two hours to freeze solid.
Well, I know what I'm making the next time I'm too hot, don't I!? Although can I supplement the cream for anything else? I've never really been a fan of cream is all.

Reaction score
Well, I know what I'm making the next time I'm too hot, don't I!? Although can I supplement the cream for anything else? I've never really been a fan of cream is all.

Puree the fruits first, to make a sherbet/sorbet, perhaps? Going the juice popsicle route might not go well with the Graham crackers. I think that frozen bananas and avocados puree particularly well, but then again I'm a fan of cream. I'm not a fan of coconut, but maybe a tin of coconut cream would also do as a substitute...

Although, that's another thing, you can just do away with the cream and biscuits and just freeze juice in popsicle molds or even ice trays. Cover with aluminum foil or clear wrap and stick a popsicle stick in there to hold its place, and then break them out of the molds and enjoy a homemade popsicle.

My mother loved to half-freeze Gatorade in the freezer, because the sugars in them or something meant that when you shook it up, you got a frozen slurry or slushee. This probably works better in the plastic bottles rather than the glass ones, because the expanding fluid can risk some breaking of the container.

Reaction score
Good idea with the Gatorade Ellyn! I'll have to test that out with the version we have over here. And with different drinks come to think of it.

Although I just realized, you meant cream, and for some reason my mind went to whipped cream instead of, you know...normal cream? I'll give it a shot though. If it doesn't work out, I'll see if I can't substitute ice cream in somehow.

Reaction score
I know it has nothing to do in baking, but in my place, we do something really simple when the heat attacks. We take passion fruit juice, put it in some molds in the freezer and we've got ourselves a delicious popsicle. They disappear before you can say "passion fruit popsicle!"

Reaction score
With winter time coming up, one of our favorites is Apple crumb cake (ish). Basically in the bottom of a cake pan, I add two cans of apple pie filling (yeah, im lazy), then in a seperate big bowl, I put in one box of yellow cake mix, dry, and add 3/4 cups of melted butter. Mix until it turns crumbly.. Add that mixture on TOP of the apple pie filling in the pan and WOW! Its really THAT good!

Reaction score
Hi @DrYellow! :) I have some threads here with some simple and easy to make sweet treats. I will try attaching the links soon but if in case you're interested, the titles of the threads are: Pastillas de Leche, Turon or Caramelized Banana Rolls, and Oreo Cake (no-bake). Do try to check them out soon. I hope it helps. :)

Reaction score
You can make a "crumble" from animal crackers. You can get the big, cheap, bag and break them up yourself or toss them in the blender, food chopper, etc. Drizzle with a bit of butter, add some sugar and cinnamon, stir it up, and then put it over the top of your favorite fruit or fruit filling. You only need to warm it through, so it's quick. You can even do it in the microwave on low (you don't want it to actually "cook" just get warm). It's delicious topped with ice cream.

Reaction score
I have to repost again because I remembered something else. Again, it has nothing to do with baking, but, in my country we have this drink called "morisoñando", which translates to "dying while dreaming". It's basically either orange juice or lemon juice with cold condensed milk. It's so good! I did it the other day but put a little twist by putting some passion fruit juice instead. Yummy!

Reaction score
When it comes to sweets, our usual recourse is any snack food made with coconut milk. We have an endless list of snack food and dessert made with coconut milk. What's good is you need not cook it yourself since there are stores selling those delicacies. This kind of jam is called coconut jam which is made of coconut milk and brown sugar. That simple. Just cook the mixture in a pan (slow fire) until it turns brown and becomes sticky. That's it.

Reaction score
I would say try to find the foods that are in season. You will find your fruits and vegetables usually at a better price, which is no surprise. Utilize these natural sweeteners rather than anything store bought, and just have lemons and more lemons on hand to give everything a little boost. That is just what I do, and I love it. Best of luck, even though summer is pretty close to over, at least here it is.

Ask a Question