Bundt cake doming

Reaction score
Not if you are baking in a non stick coated bundt pan; with dark interior.

The nonstick coating in the dark interior conducts heat more intensely. cake batter in contact with the metal bakes and sets first. Batter in the center is still raw and continues to rise. That causes the dome effect.

When the heat is too intense it will rise so quickly the dome will actually crack. It’s a volcano.

A light colored uncoated metal pan is best for cakes. A lower temperature, 325°F. Cloth baking strips (Google Wilton baking strips) wrapped around a pan to insulated from the heat will give you a level cake and a regular pan.

Reaction score
Not if you are baking in a non stick coated bundt pan; with dark interior.

The nonstick coating in the dark interior conducts heat more intensely. cake batter in contact with the metal bakes and sets first. Batter in the center is still raw and continues to rise. That causes the dome effect.

When the heat is too intense it will rise so quickly the dome will actually crack. It’s a volcano.

A light colored uncoated metal pan is best for cakes. A lower temperature, 325°F. Cloth baking strips (Google Wilton baking strips) wrapped around a pan to insulated from the heat will give you a level cake and a regular pan.
Thank you so much for your explanation. I used the Nordicware non stick bundt pan with a light, silver colored finish and I did bake at 325. I do have sets of magic strips that I use on my flat-sided cake pans but am not clear on how/if they can be used on a bundt pan that has a patterned side to it.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your explanation. I used the Nordicware non stick bundt pan with a light, silver colored finish and I did bake at 325. I do have sets of magic strips that I use on my flat-sided cake pans but am not clear on how/if they can be used on a bundt pan that has a patterned side to it.

That Nordicware is a non stick coated pan, so it conducts heat more intensely.

You will need to reduce the temperature a bit more with Nordicware. You’re never going to get a really level cake in that type of pan.

You will have to wrap a couple of strips around a Bundt pan. And you will have to use safety pins to help hold them in place.

A light color uncoated metal

599557FA-DDA3-4F47-BDBC-8FD5AD1AEF90.jpeg

Ask a Question