Burnt baking tray

Reaction score
So, I've got this quite nice baking tray that I use for most of my cooking and baking, but there's one problem...it's horribly burnt.

All up and down the sides it's brown. The underside? Brown. Under the lips? Brown. All of it is brown. I've tried some steel wool to get rid of it, but all it's done is scrape away the protection, and now some of its properly rusting.

What on earth can I do, or should I just chuck it? Is there any problem with continuing to use it as is, even if its rusting a little?

Reaction score
Honestly, I just replace my baking sheets often. They will get rusted and burnt, it seems inevitable. I just try to buy high quality sheets because I do bake so often. That way, I don't have to replace them quite as often. I've had the best luck with baking sheets I picked up at Bed Bath and Beyond.

I've also had mild success with soaking my pans in a baking soda solution. Sometimes though, you just gotta count your losses and fork over some money for a new one!

Reaction score
This is not something that I have hit yet, mainly because I line all my trays with greaseproof paper to ensure nothing sticks and always give it a good soak afterwards in Fairy washing up liquid to ensure I get everything off.

Reaction score
I don't use grease proof paper but I do like to use non-stick baking sheets. They make it so easy to get the cookies off the pan! I can't exactly use those for something like brownies though so a baking spray is a must. I'm not big on the whole process of buttering and greasing a pan. Its so much easier to spray and go!

Reaction score
Baking sheets! Of course!

Gosh I'm such an idiot for not thinking of those before. Although do you use these for proper cooking, as in chicken kievs or chips?

Reaction score
Don't feel bad about forgetting. I forgot to mention them in my original comment. I have only used baking sheet for things like cookies and biscuits. I think as long as its not a batter, you can use them to bake just about anything in the oven.

Reaction score
Don't feel bad about forgetting. I forgot to mention them in my original comment. I have only used baking sheet for things like cookies and biscuits. I think as long as its not a batter, you can use them to bake just about anything in the oven.
I'll have to look into getting some of these then, just to prevent any further damages.

Still, aside from straight up elbow grease how on earth can I get rid of all this burnt on...whatever

Reaction score
I think it's probably best to not use it for the same purposes anymore, with the rust and all. I wouldn't throw it out, though. You could repurpose it for other things by using aluminium foil to cover it. You could even use it to bake more cookies if you properly coat the foil.

Reaction score
I think it's probably best to not use it for the same purposes anymore, with the rust and all. I wouldn't throw it out, though. You could repurpose it for other things by using aluminium foil to cover it. You could even use it to bake more cookies if you properly coat the foil.
Hmm the rust was bothering me a bit, I must admit. I usually give it a good scrub before I use it for anything, including with some steel wool we have. Just wasn't sure if it was okay or not, you know?

Ask a Question