Butter in Coffee??!!

Reaction score
I just read that there is a new trend around and that is people putting butter in their morning coffee as opposed to cream and sugar. Am I the only one who thinks this is gross? What do you put in your morning (or all day) coffee?

Reaction score
It truly depends on the blend of coffee. Butter may seem weird but in some dishes (coffee in this instance) can help bring out the flavor of the coffee bean and enrich your entire drink. People were saying that creamer and half and half and sugar just weren't doing it, but the new fad is indeed butter. It's a foreign concept, to be true, but it does work. I'd still use milk and sugar on top of it though. I like my coffee to where I can't taste the coffee.

Reaction score
I just read that there is a new trend around and that is people putting butter in their morning coffee as opposed to cream and sugar. Am I the only one who thinks this is gross? What do you put in your morning (or all day) coffee?

You are not alone with thinking it sounds gross but once I saw it I went to search to see what I could find. Sure enough I saw Dr.Oz's name come up in my search and I immediately zoomed in on that as I am quite a fan.

He recommends replacing your sugar and cream with the butter to boost your energy levels. I am not a coffee person but I am much more receptive to an idea once I see it's supported by Dr. Oz. Either way it seems lots in the medical fraternity are advocating this method.

Reaction score
I've seen this trend illustrated online with a photo, showing a pat of butter in a cup of hot coffee. I did react badly, initially. Maybe, if enough people think that it's good, I might eventually try butter in my coffee.

Reaction score
It tastes good because the butter brings out the natural flavors of the coffee, and for people with low-sugar and other tolerances this is a very good alternative to sugar and creamer. If you are skeptical, just make only one cup of coffee. Then try this method. Never do it again if you don't like it.

Reaction score
I have heard people putting butter in their coffees instead of using cream and sugar. It might be good for you but probably use sparingly. Few days ago, I had a customer asking for 8 pats of cold butter, so she can eat it like chocolate -- I was kind of surprised and odd why she would eat it. o_O

Reaction score
Because, believe it or butter enriches the flavor of most anything you eat or drink next. It seems weird, and even unhealthy - but think of all the sugar and creamer you'd be using in normal coffees. It's almost the same, if not more hazardous.

Plus, I can vouch for this - just one 'pat' of butter in your coffee and one 'spoonfull' of sugar and two ounces of milk, the coffee is wonderful. From there you could add whatever you like - french vanilla, etc.

It's worth a shot, don't sit on the fence! Try it out. If you hate, like I said, then you know better. But at least you know!

Reaction score

I also think of it as gross, Tina! I just don't like the idea of adding butter to my coffee, it doesn't sound like an appealing idea at all! I liked to add butter to some soups, but never to hot drinks, yuk!

Reaction score
Even if it doesn't sound appealing, you should still give it a legitimate try before knocking it - like I said, make only enough coffee for one cup. If it's ruined, oh well. If you hate it and want to dump it, oh well. At least you tried it - and can understand what I'm talking about, even if only a little.

It's truly not that bad. It just sounds gross, like honey on french fries (YUM)

Reaction score
Shimus, I tried the coffee and butter idea and I was not a fan of it at all. It could be that I used salted butter, but was really grossed out when I saw the little oil bubbles floating around at the top of my coffee. I am a much more wise person now, at least I gave it a whirl.

Reaction score
Yeah, salted butter isn't the best - and sometimes, using margarine is not only healthier but it tastes better in my opnion. You've at least gave it a shot, which is more than I can say most people just go "Nope, not for me." and don't try it. And then they look at the ones who have/still do use butter as lunatics. IT's really a "to each their own" type of thing, really. I still don't drink coffee at all, can't personally handle the taste... But even I tried this. I found with all three (butter included, sugar, and milk) it was usable. Just add a bit of vanilla creamer and you're good to go.

Reaction score
It sounds bizarre but I might try it one day just to see what all the fuss is about.
I'm willing to try almost any food combination once.

Reaction score
Me too, ACS. My motto is, "If it doesn't poison me, I'll eat it again too."

Food is meant to be enjoyed. Never mind I'm allergic to nearly all of it, but consequences be damned I will have some good meals. IBS never goes away.

Reaction score
Shimus, I tried the coffee and butter idea and I was not a fan of it at all. It could be that I used salted butter, but was really grossed out when I saw the little oil bubbles floating around at the top of my coffee. I am a much more wise person now, at least I gave it a whirl.

Oh man. That's exactly what I was saying Tina Nord. It's the grease I was concerned about. I am so not a fan of grease and especially swimming grease. I am not a coffee drinker. Did a cup last week just to be in the coffee world and all I kept thinking about was how this butter was going to fit into the equation.

I applaud any who don't have a problem trying it and just for the heck of it might try it so I can speak from a position of experience.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am sadly not a coffee drinker so I couldn't tell you if this is good or not. My day job is fast food and we have people who order their coffee and ask us to put ice cream in it, it seems weird but I guess whatever they like. The funny part is I have customers tell me they want me to make their coffees for them and if I'm not the one who makes it, they don't want them. I tell them I didn't think I was that good, because the big thing is I don't drink coffee!

Reaction score
I am sadly not a coffee drinker so I couldn't tell you if this is good or not. My day job is fast food and we have people who order their coffee and ask us to put ice cream in it, it seems weird but I guess whatever they like. The funny part is I have customers tell me they want me to make their coffees for them and if I'm not the one who makes it, they don't want them. I tell them I didn't think I was that good, because the big thing is I don't drink coffee!

I used to get this all the time at McDonalds, where I used to work. Only the old people who ordered their coffee in the morning put everything under the sun in it sometimes; honey, ice cream, butter, the list goes on - plenty of non-conventional ideas.

I don't drink it usually either, but I tried it like this. I can say I didn't like it either as I have an issue just dealing with the base taste of Coffee (Rather drink mountain dew or some caffeinated soda or beverage!)

But yeah, it's not for everyone. It's just for a lot of weirder people! :D

Reaction score
It doesn't sound good to me either! :0 I like coffee - but not the taste of coffee. So, I buy flavored k-cups and then I add a packet of hot cocoa. Makes a mocha! It is the only way I will drink coffee because then it doesn't taste like coffee. :)
I even asked for hot cocoa at a restaurant to add to my coffee. The waitress called it poor man's mocha. I thought that was clever!
So, when we travel, and if I know there won't be hot cocoa available - I will bring packs with me. Crazy! LOL

Reaction score
Ice cream in coffee is actually really good as long as the ice cream is real and creamy. It thickens the coffee and makes it more of a mocha or other gourmet type coffee. I love the flavor, smell, and everything about coffee.

Reaction score
I used to get this all the time at McDonalds, where I used to work. Only the old people who ordered their coffee in the morning put everything under the sun in it sometimes; honey, ice cream, butter, the list goes on - plenty of non-conventional ideas.

I don't drink it usually either, but I tried it like this. I can say I didn't like it either as I have an issue just dealing with the base taste of Coffee (Rather drink mountain dew or some caffeinated soda or beverage!)

But yeah, it's not for everyone. It's just for a lot of weirder people! :D

I work at Mcdonalds right now, and it's crazy I will have some people order a black coffee and then tell me to add cream in it, I want to say okay but that's not a black coffee.

When I was a kid my grandmother let me try her coffee, and it was pure black. I hated the taste so I said never again will I drink it, at Christmas party I went to with my mom and decided to try it again 10 years later, I put a huge load of cream and sugar that would give some one a sweet shock, and when I drank it the flavor was complete black! So to this day I don't drink coffee!

Reaction score
Yeah, my dad tried to get me to drink coffee from a young age. I just couldn't stand the base taste of it, it makes me want to wretch.. ugh.

When it's been "Dulled down" or has so much creamer, sugar, and milk added... then I can 'plate' it.

Sorry to hear yer working at a McD's, I know what it was like - being underappreciated, overworked, and underpaid. Unless that just my restaurant that sucked and the management from hell...

Ask a Question