Butter or lard?

Reaction score
I'm really a beginner when it comes to pastry. I always use butter, but my mother-in-law, who is known for her fantastic pastry, swears by using lard. I guess I'm just a bit intimidated by it!

What do the expert pastry makers here use? Is it true that for a truly crispy pastry you need lard? And actually, is there any alternatives again to butter or lard?

Reaction score
Lard is actually better for you than butter. I don't think many people realize that. It has no trans fats, and its actually higher in monosaturated fats than butter. My family never bought it growing up, but I've only heard good things about it when it comes to making pies. Supposedly it produces a much flakier crust. The only thing holding me back from using it when baking for groups of people is that I have several friends who are vegetarian. But for immediate family, I would be more than willing to give it a try.

Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear that about lard being better for you than butter l've never used lard as l'm a veggie but you learn something new everyday.:)

Reaction score
I can't stand the smell of lard. I hear it is wonderful for frying and even better to pie crust , but I just can't get past the smell. I will have to stick with butter.

Reaction score
I'm with another poster...the smell, and honestly just the general idea of lard has always grossed me out. Butter it is.

Reaction score
I've never used lard nor did I know it is better for you. I've always used butter as its something that's a essential in my home and readily available. I will stick to my butter use as it gets the job done and well.

Reaction score
I have used lard before and gives wonderful results but I stick to using butter because who doesn't love that buttery taste you get. I may try to start using lard since it is suppose to be healthier for you and I definitely need that if I want to become healthy.

Reaction score
Lard is actually better for you than butter. I don't think many people realize that. It has no trans fats, and its actually higher in monosaturated fats than butter. My family never bought it growing up, but I've only heard good things about it when it comes to making pies. Supposedly it produces a much flakier crust. The only thing holding me back from using it when baking for groups of people is that I have several friends who are vegetarian. But for immediate family, I would be more than willing to give it a try.
Wow! I just learned something. I've been using butter for years now, swore off margarine, and was thinking lard was similar. Good to know!

Ask a Question