butter vs margarine

Reaction score
Which do you use for baking? I usually use margarine. My mom will sometimes use butter. I also get whatever is on sale. I'm not brand-loyal.:) Is there a difference is the end product by using one over the other?

Reaction score
For me, I only use unsalted butter. Whatever is on sale. I don't use margarine because I don't like the oil content.
The cookies especially are more flat, due to the oil. The fat in the butter seems to work better.... this is just my experience.

Reaction score
I used to love margarine, salty and unsalted, and I ate it for many, many years because it was said it as a healthier alternative rather than using butter.

Today research says that margarine is worst than butter, but ultimately, I'm not longer a big margarine fan nor butter fan. I used them indistinctly unless a recipe specifies one or another.

Even though and for my sole enjoyment, I still privilege margarine over butter ;)

Reaction score
I use unsalted butter for cooking and baking. I use margarine (such as country crock) as a spread,

Reaction score
I use margarine for baking because I don't like butter. I will use butter if it calls for it, but margarine is what I usually use.

Reaction score
I try to use unsalted butter, but it's more expensive and sometimes I just have to settle for salted butter. I do try to find the one with the lowest sodium content if that's the case. Does olive oil spread count as margarine? I've used that in a pinch, and it seems to work fine. The flavour of the final product usually isn't as rich though.

Reaction score
Oh nobody could pay me to use margarine. Butter all the way.. and if it's grassfed, even better. Real butter is far from bad for you, it's sad to see people fear foods they should be happy to use.

Reaction score
I use butter when I bake certain dishes, but I use margarine for the main part. I like the taste better than butter. I do like the taste of butter in some foods and margarine in others.

Reaction score
If a recipe calls for margarine, I just use butter instead. I like the taste of butter better.

Reaction score
From what I understand, butter can burn when used on a stovetop or cooked at high temperatures. However, I love the real butter taste.

The only margarine/butter alternative I can recommend for taste and substance is Land o'Lakes spread. Otherwise, I just try to go easy on butter, which is hard when it comes to breakfast.

Reaction score
Which do you use for baking? I usually use margarine. My mom will sometimes use butter. I also get whatever is on sale. I'm not brand-loyal.:) Is there a difference is the end product by using one over the other?
I wouldn't think there was much difference, however, I quit using margarine years ago and only use butter- no special brand. What I've noticed is that some brands actually do taste a lot better than others. Who would have known?

Reaction score
If a recipe calls for margarine, I just use butter instead. I like the taste of butter better.
We haven't used margarine in years- over 16 to be exact. Its funny how I can tell when someone has used margarine in a dish rather than butter.

Reaction score
I love butter and prefer to use butter because it's natural and delicious. However sometimes my wallet dictates that I use margarine because you can get margarine for less than $1.
If I can afford it, I always choose butter first.

Ask a Question