• shortening

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • margarine

• other

• Total voters
Reaction score
Which ones do you prefer to use when making cookies and why? I have to admit I'm partial to butter; even when the recipe calls for something else 9 times out of 10 I'll use butter anyway. I just love the flavor it imparts in cookies. Sometimes if I need the dough to be less sticky I'll use shortening. For stuff like shortbread cookies and really crunchy cookies I'll use shortening. I don't use margarine often unless I just really want something sweet and I don't have any butter.

Reaction score
I am another who is partial to butter. I guess it's just what I know and love - a flavor thing, mainly, like you said. I always remember cooking with my granny and butter was always her go-to for baked goods, so I think a big part of it is just familiarity! I know how it reacts in a baking context so that makes it easier to determine how my baked goods will turn out.

Reaction score
All of these have purpose in kitchen but butter and shortenings are healthier way to go. Margarine is very bad for us and we should try to avoid eating it in any shape it can appear. Most of the times margarine comes as a substitute to butter in many pastries and that is why they can cost less. For example, people in my country are poor and we had a bad habit to make most of the recipes with margarine. Now days, even those who have money stick with the old 'cheap' recipes because most of them are not aware of what margarine really is. It is just oil with additives that keep it firm. And the oil they use is the worst one, The thing they throw away when they make regular oil. As for the shortening, it can be good if it is home made and lots or recipes are better with shortening than with anything else.

Reaction score
Butter all the way! I totally agree with the points shared on margarine - no thanks!

I do have one Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookie recipe that calls for Crisco that I still make. One of my goals this year is to start rendering my own lard and I am going to start substituting that in baked goods, pie crusts, etc. and will give it a whirl in that cookie recipe too!

Reaction score
I tend to use butter for everything, "shortening" is not a common thing to buy here and I'm not a fan of margarine. I use Lurpak.

Ask a Question