Buttercream advice

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make the delicate and fluffy buttercream that you get on cakes made from a bakery? I have a couple of buttercream recipes at home, but each time I make it, it never tastes light and fluffy like the bakery versions. Mine usually turns out dough like and I have to soften it with more liquid. I am not sure what I am doing wrong because I add liquid and I make sure the butter is at room temperature.

Reaction score
Hi Tina,
Can you share the recipe you use? That would be helpful in determining what might be causing the sad buttercream.

Reaction score
Sure, It was 2 cups of unsalted butter, 3 cups of confectioner's sugar, and 1 1/2 cups of seedless raspberry jam. I found the recipe on a baking blog a few months ago.

Reaction score
Thank you, this was helpful monkeyboots! The secret to fluffy delicate buttercream frosting appears to be the eggs. I just wonder why the recipe did not call for eggs then. I want the kind of buttercream that you get at the bakery, or at least as close to it as I can get!

Reaction score
Following :) I am very interested in trying to start decorating cakes and cupcakes a little fancier and would love to see what recipes others will share.

Reaction score
I would love to be able to do the fondant and the buttercream frosting like they do on the TV shows; those cakes always turn out so pretty. Maybe someday I will be skilled enough. I have actually thought of taking a class.

Reaction score
I would love to be able to do the fondant and the buttercream frosting like they do on the TV shows; those cakes always turn out so pretty. Maybe someday I will be skilled enough. I have actually thought of taking a class.

I took a class in decorating with fondant, and it really helped me to build my confidence in doing it. It still took me some time to get good at it, but it was just taking that leap to actually trying it for the first time, and of course getting some proper tips and instruction on how to do it. I can really recommend the course though.

Ask a Question