Buttercream Alternatives

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been wondering if anyone has any suggestions for cupcake frosting that complies with the NYS cottage food laws. The law in NY prohibits “Homemade buttercream/cream cheese frosting containing dairy or eggs” for home processors. I’ve tried making other frostings with shortening and I haven’t found one that is as good as buttercream. Something that is safe at room temperature would be ideal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been wondering if anyone has any suggestions for cupcake frosting that complies with the NYS cottage food laws. The law in NY prohibits “Homemade buttercream/cream cheese frosting containing dairy or eggs” for home processors. I’ve tried making other frostings with shortening and I haven’t found one that is as good as buttercream. Something that is safe at room temperature would be ideal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Unfortunately there’s no alternative to meringue based buttercreams, whipped mascarpone Chantilly icing.

In Asian countries where humidity is an issue and price of dairy is high, they use a non-dairy whipped cream product called Ambiante.

It pipes like icing; will hold for several days; can be colored. You can flavor it with extracts but I don’t believe you can add any type of liquids.

It’s already pre-sweetened so all you have to do is chill it, then whip it.

Ask a Question