Tips for Using a Cake Ball Machine

Reaction score
Anyone else use one of these ? My Grandma got me one for Christmas last year. Every time I use it. It is a mess! I mean I am a messy baker but my products usually come out good. I just can't figure out a good measure of batter to put in each hole. Anyone have any ideas for me ? Or what are your tricks to using one?

Reaction score
What brand of machine do you use? I read on the internet that the Babycakes cake pop maker should be slightly under-filled because the batter rises.
Some people use skewers to flip and rotate the cake balls so that they stay round and don't turn out like muffins because they don't completely rise up to fill the top dome.

Reaction score
When I first saw that cake ball machine I thought it would turn them automatically like a Japanese takoyaki (octopus ball) maker:

I still wonder what would happen if you put cake batter into one of those.

Reaction score
Since we don't seem to know can I suggest an experiment? Find a way to mark one chamber...even if it just leaving the last one empty. Fill the first chamber with a small amount of measured batter. Add half a teaspoon to that amount in the second chamber. Continue on, keeping track of how much is in each chamber. When they're done cooking the one that made the best pop is the correct amount to use in the future.

Reaction score
If you go to you tube and type cake pop maker in the search box , there will be lot s of tutorials and reviews for different machines. I am sure in one of those vlogs you should be able to find your make and modle of cakepop machine. There you may be able to get a solution to your problem.

Reaction score
Since we don't seem to know can I suggest an experiment? Find a way to mark one chamber...even if it just leaving the last one empty. Fill the first chamber with a small amount of measured batter. Add half a teaspoon to that amount in the second chamber. Continue on, keeping track of how much is in each chamber. When they're done cooking the one that made the best pop is the correct amount to use in the future.

Now I like this scientific approach since machines can vary so much and the type of batter may effect the result. Hopefully with some trial and error you will figure out that contraption!

Reaction score
A cost-effective approach to pouring batter neatly might be to take a big zipper bag and put all the batter into it. Then, cut a hole in one of the corners of the bag. And pipe the batter into each section of the mold.

Ask a Question