Cake Decorating Classes

Reaction score
Have any of you ever taken cake decorating classes, such as the ones that are offered through Wilton at Michael's or the ones at community colleges?

They're cheap to take and only last for a few weeks. I think it's once a week for four weeks or something like that.

I haven't taken one, nor have I ever known anyone who did, but I would love to. I bake tasty foods, but they usually aren't very pretty. I think one of these classes could be just what I need to learn the basics.

Reaction score
I have yet to take a decorating class. I just decorate on a whim or based on what was passed down to me by my mother.

The only cooking class I took at a community college was on Asian cuisine. I learned how to make a variety of sauces as well as cook squid, pot stickers and sesame chicken. Very interesting course.

Reaction score
I have never taken a cake decorating class either. However, I think it would be a lot of fun! It definitely would be a fun environment to learn with other people. I have looked at different ways to decorate cakes online and through my recipe books and have tried on my own. But I think taking a class on it would be really fun and educational! Plus I think it would be really inspirational and help me get motivated to really try hard at perfecting my cakes.

Reaction score
I, as well, have never taken a decorating class. I saw a decorating kit at the grocery store, last year probably, that was cheap; I bought it. All the pieces are still in the box at the back of the pantry. I have no idea how to use any of it. In my mind, I swear I could decorate a nice cake; in reality, it would probably look ridiculous.

I see those courses at Michael's and wouldn't mind taking one at some point in my life. I'm fascinated with fondant.

Reaction score
Me, too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is interested in taking those classes. I think I just might sign up this summer when I graduate (with my two-year degree...yay!). Then, I'll only have work to think about and not work AND school.

Reaction score
I would like to take a cake decorating class. There is a Michael's near my home that offers cake decorating classes. I haven't signed up for one yet. The class seems fun and interesting.

Reaction score
Personally, I've never taken a cake decorating class but have always wanted to. It seems like it would be a lot of fun!
Let us know how it goes if you decide to actually go through with it! :)

Reaction score
I wanted take those classes, around fall and winter, the price went down to $5 a class in my area! I never had the time. I am probably going to buy the 4 books they sell, though just to make sure I know all the basics. I have a nice tip set and am experimenting with homemade cakes and making my own icing now. Practice, practice, practice is all I need now.
If you do take the classes, I would really be interested in hearing how it went, maybe I can find a friend around here to go to some with me some time.

Kas

Reaction score
I have taken those Wilton classes. I took them a few years ago. They actually can get to be kind of pricey because of all the supplies that you need to keep buying. But I think they were well worth it. I think it has helped me a lot with my decorating.

I then took Class One and Two when they were first updated. I guess I took a total of 6 courses overall. There were some new techniques that were taught. From what I saw the other day, they are, yet again, teaching updated classes. Some of the new cakes look pretty good. I would absolutely LOVE to sign up for all 4 of those. Unfortunately, I just don't have the money for it right now. Some of the supplies will be the same, no doubt, but I know there will be new ones, too. And I just can't afford all of that right now.

But if you have the time, and the money, I say that a person should definitely take the classes. It is well worth it if you want to really decorate your desserts.

Reaction score
My local community college has offered a cake decorating class before. I've just never been that interested in it. My cakes never look pretty, but they are delicious. That's all I care about. I have watched those shows were people decorate these beautiful, elaborate cakes. I think if you're planning on entering in competitions or selling them, then a cake decorating class would be really beneficial. My family and kids are the only ones who see mine.

Ask a Question