Cake decorating trends for 2018

Reaction score
What are the cake decorating trends for 2018

Akos, it really depends on your location. Where I live it’s back to Swiss meringue and Italian meringue buttercreams; fondant is on the way out because couples don’t want to spend $800 for a fondant cake that tastes so bad guests won’t eat it.

I live on a property that is used as an event venue, mostly weddings are held here, about 35 events each season. The caterer who handles the events here is doing less cake overall. Couples want a cake for the wedding pictures, but they don’t necessarily want to serve cake to their guests. So they opt for a small cake for the cake cutting ceremony, then offer a dessert bar to let guests select from a variety of single portion options.

Ben Ron Israel has the most comprehensive list of 2018 cake trends for the US in general.

https://www.weddingcakes.com/www.asthecaketurns.com/?p=306

Reaction score
Akos, it really depends on your location. Where I live it’s back to Swiss meringue and Italian meringue buttercreams; fondant is on the way out because couples don’t want to spend $800 for a fondant cake that tastes so bad guests won’t eat it.

I live on a property that is used as an event venue, mostly weddings are held here, about 35 events each season. The caterer who handles the events here is doing less cake overall. Couples want a cake for the wedding pictures, but they don’t necessarily want to serve cake to their guests. So they opt for a small cake for the cake cutting ceremony, then offer a dessert bar to let guests select from a variety of single portion options.

Ben Ron Israel has the most comprehensive list of 2018 cake trends for the US in general.

https://www.weddingcakes.comww.asthecaketurns.com/?p=306

I wanted something new I could add to the trend here. I live in West Africa, where wedding receptions are mostly held outside, in an open event centre. The weather is mostly hot like summer in the West, so fondants are mostly used for wedding cakes. Whipped and buttercream coverings are mostly used for birthday cakes, because the event is enclosed. Looks like I will stick to fondant for weddings.

Reaction score
I wanted something new I could add to the trend here. I live in West Africa, where wedding receptions are mostly held outside, in an open event centre. The weather is mostly hot like summer in the West, so fondants are mostly used for wedding cakes. Whipped and buttercream coverings are mostly used for birthday cakes, because the event is enclosed. Looks like I will stick to fondant for weddings.

Yes, outdoor receptions really reduce your options for cake decorating

Reaction score
Question: can small beads (artificial) be used to make quilted design on a cake or it must sugar dragees (sugar ball) by all means?

Reaction score
Wow. Thanks,

In the US, the government advises against eating the silver dragees. In California the silver dragees is banned. There’s no scientific studies on the safety of eating silver, but the government banned silver in food dye years ago. So the French silver almonds, which are also called dragees, are banded as food in the US.

If you are planning on using dragees, check to see if the coating is made of a metal like silver. Then check to see the guidelines your government food safety department has on metal in food.

Reaction score
There are dragees that are silver, gold are and other colors here. It's indicated on the containers to be edible. I'll check on the government's guidelines. Thanks

Ask a Question