Cake for Ex Brother-in-law

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a request from one of my older sisters. She asked if I could make a cake for her ex husbands birthday. Now, my sister is on good terms with him as is my sisters wife.
Anyway, she told me he likes vanilla cake with vanilla frosting. Kinda boring but I can make it work.
Now I just have to come up with an idea for the cake. He likes cars. Muscle cars and such but I’m not going to attempt to sculpt it to look like a car. Any ideas?

Reaction score
My first thought would be a car tyre - minimal sculpting required (well, assuming you make a round cake!) and you could use fondant to decorate it with. Once it is iced you could press a pattern into the tyre, and use lustre dust for the metallic parts.

Something like this:

Reaction score
My first thought would be a car tyre - minimal sculpting required (well, assuming you make a round cake!) and you could use fondant to decorate it with. Once it is iced you could press a pattern into the tyre, and use lustre dust for the metallic parts.

Something like this:

That’s a great idea! I’ll take that into consideration.
And I am planning to do a round cake. Probably an 8” round 2 layer cake.

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a request from one of my older sisters. She asked if I could make a cake for her ex husbands birthday. Now, my sister is on good terms with him as is my sisters wife.
Anyway, she told me he likes vanilla cake with vanilla frosting. Kinda boring but I can make it work.
Now I just have to come up with an idea for the cake. He likes cars. Muscle cars and such but I’m not going to attempt to sculpt it to look like a car. Any ideas?

It’s wonderful that your sister and her former husband have a good relationship. My family is like that as well. Easter Sunday I’ll be going to my former brother-in-law‘s house. His current partner is hosting a egg dying luncheon for the women in our group. My sister will be there.

This past weekend we were all together for the gun control March For Our Lives.

We spend the holidays together as well. We were all at my sisters house for Christmas this year. Thanksgiving former brother-in-law‘s house. Last year Thanksgiving former brother-in-law‘s house.

So I tip my hat off to you and your family. Moving forward in a positive and productive way makes for a better life for all involved.

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, it is very admirable. My parents split up when I was 7-8, and they always kept things civil. It must have been very difficult for them - mum had an affair and it turned out my dad was gay - but I'm grateful that they were able to look past that for the benefit of me and my brother.

@Angie CupcakeQueen let us know what you decide to do! :)

Reaction score
It’s wonderful that your sister and her former husband have a good relationship. My family is like that as well. Easter Sunday I’ll be going to my former brother-in-law‘s house. His current partner is hosting a egg dying luncheon for the women in our group. My sister will be there.

This past weekend we were all together for the gun control March For Our Lives.

We spend the holidays together as well. We were all at my sisters house for Christmas this year. Thanksgiving former brother-in-law‘s house. Last year Thanksgiving former brother-in-law‘s house.

So I tip my hat off to you and your family. Moving forward in a positive and productive way makes for a better life for all involved.

Thank you. Although I’ve never really been on the greatest terms with him myself, I’m glad he’ll be there. He moved down south a while back and my niece and nephew don’t get to see him too often so they’ll be thrilled that he can join the family for Easter.

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, it is very admirable. My parents split up when I was 7-8, and they always kept things civil. It must have been very difficult for them - mum had an affair and it turned out my dad was gay - but I'm grateful that they were able to look past that for the benefit of me and my brother.

@Angie CupcakeQueen let us know what you decide to do! :)

Families are definitely complicated. I’ve never had anything against him until a really bad incident after him and my sister split up. He showed up drunk at our house and tried to take my niece and nephew without my sisters permission. I was maybe fifteen or sixteen at the time and I went into complete mama bear mode. Willing to do what I had to to protect them.
Long story short he yelled at me and threatened me.
Since that day I’ve not trusted him but I’m able to be civil for my sisters and niece and nephews sake.

As for the cake I’m still figuring it out. I baked it today and whipped up some buttercream frosting (that turned out really good!).
I think I’ll have a better idea of what I’ll do when I have everything in front of me tomorrow.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear he put you through that - good on you for being civil despite what happened! When the kids are grown they will be able to make up their own minds about him.

Glad to hear the cake and buttercream turned out well! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Reaction score
Today I finished the cake for my ex- brother-in-law. Before I had mentioned that I was thinking of making a car themed cake but I couldn’t find the inspiration I needed for it.
So I talked to my sister who told me that he likes mopar so I mixed up a blue as close to the color of the mopar symbol. Then he likes BMX and puts together his own bikes. He uses the color pink on them too so I used that.
It was kinda frustrating trying to freehand a bike on the cake but it turned out pretty good.
I surprised myself with this cake. I wasn’t sure I could pull it off but I did!

Nowhere near perfect but much better than I thought it would turn out!

7DFE1CD4-2385-4D3C-B160-D2FF02812AA9.jpeg

A8D2A81A-570E-4C08-B886-D5E7B53FB81D.jpeg

Reaction score
Today I finished the cake for my ex- brother-in-law. Before I had mentioned that I was thinking of making a car themed cake but I couldn’t find the inspiration I needed for it.
So I talked to my sister who told me that he likes mopar so I mixed up a blue as close to the color of the mopar symbol. Then he likes BMX and puts together his own bikes. He uses the color pink on them too so I used that.
It was kinda frustrating trying to freehand a bike on the cake but it turned out pretty good.
I surprised myself with this cake. I wasn’t sure I could pull it off but I did!

Nowhere near perfect but much better than I thought it would turn out!

View attachment 1457

View attachment 1458

It’s cute! We can be so hard on ourselves. Know that each cake is a step forward. And more important, you’re baking makes people happy. :p

Ask a Question