Tips for Stacking 12 Inch Cakes

Reaction score
I want to make a cake using 12 inch cake pans and I want to stack it 3 levels, so 3 x 12 inch one on top of other, any issues with this?

I will level all 3 12 inch cakes before frosting.

I have made layer cakes before but never larger than 9 inch pans

Reaction score
I made a wedding cake for a friend with 2 x 12 inch cakes stacked on top of each other and it was fine. Each one was cut in half so there were 4 layers essentially. It was chiffon cake so it was quite tall, probably equivalent to 3 victoria sponge cakes height wise. The only 'issue' was that each portion would have been ridiculously big if it was the whole height of the cake so I used a clear cake board in between the 2 cakes so that they could be separated for serving. The board was about an inch smaller than the cake size- it doesn't have to be clear but as it was a wedding cake I thought it would be nicer for photos etc if it didn't show.

If you want your cake to be cut the whole way through maybe add a couple of dowels to the centre so it stays in place while you're icing it etc. Also, make sure you have a very long palette knife if you are icing it!

Reaction score
Thin layers will be fine. If you choose to use thick layers, consider using a support structure pushed into the lower layers, similar to a tall, tiered wedding cake.

Ask a Question