Cake Pop?

Reaction score
Lately I've been really interested in cake pops. I haven't tried to make them yet mostly because I still need to buy the sticks, and secondly because I'd still like to look around a bit more, trying to find a few tips and recipes to choose from.

So! The point of this thread is, what do you think of cake pops, have you tried them, how did it go? Any tips?

I've attached some pics, in case you don't know what I'm talking about :)

Attachments

• aPicMonkey-Collage.jpg
    aPicMonkey-Collage.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 520
  • kids-recipe-cake-pops_32530_600x450.jpg
    kids-recipe-cake-pops_32530_600x450.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 475
Reaction score
Hi,
I have to say that I made them one time, years ago, and have not revisited the project. It's all easy and fun until you have to do the coating. Mine were not so pretty due to lumpy white chocolate that was on the verge of seizing. Also, the cake mixed with frosting is just too dang sweet. I even made my own frosting that is way less sweet than the canned stuff and still, those little guys made my teeth hurt.
All this being said, you should make a batch. Maybe you will be a pro at it! I would advise making your own less-sweet frosting.
Have fun! The best part is mixing the cake and frosting with your hands!

Reaction score
That's something I was worried about too! I even saw one recipe that suggested using condensed milk instead of frosting, and I just though maybe that would be a bit too over the top, since condensed milk is already so sweet. I'll definetly keep that in mind, though. I really don't like overly sweet things. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Maybe you could make a cream cheese frosting and up the ratio of cream cheese to sugar.
And regarding the coating, you could also just make a simple powdered sugar & milk icing and coat the pops/balls with a thin layer and then roll them in unsweetened coconut or cocoa powder or sprinkles or graham cracker crumbs or whatever.

Reaction score
I definitely think that cake pops are cute, and they are something that you can do to make a cake that didn't turn out right edible. That said, I don't like to eat them. I just find that they are almost sickeningly sweet.

Reaction score
I have never made cake pops, but I have eaten them quite a bit. I watched my friend create a series of pops and to be honest....they look more complicated than I ever imagined. The process of making them was very very different than I could have ever imagined.

Reaction score
I love cake pops they are the prerfect bite. I have seen some people turn these treat in to small works of art. They are becoming quite the trend I hope they do not becaome just a passing phase. Cake pops make a great party staple.

Reaction score
I love cake pops they are the prerfect bite. I have seen some people turn these treat in to small works of art. They are becoming quite the trend I hope they do not becaome just a passing phase. Cake pops make a great party staple.

I've seen some lovely displays of cake pops at parties - and I take my hat off to the people who can do them so well. The trouble is, I find anyway, that the ratio of cake to sweet coating is all wrong for my taste buds. :( I just find them overpoweringly sweet, yet irresistible. I always feel a bit sick if I eat more than one.

Incidentally, I've seen them made a couple of different ways - one way was pressing bits of cake together by hand, and forming a ball; the other was in a nifty little machine where you made up a cake batter, and put blobs of it in the machine - out came lovely and smooth little round balls. :)

Reaction score
I have eaten part of one cake pop. Way to sweet and a mess to make. My new daughter in law made the little cake balls and served them along with her wedding cake as an alternative to a piece of cake.

Reaction score
I have eaten part of one cake pop. Way to sweet and a mess to make. My new daughter in law made the little cake balls and served them along with her wedding cake as an alternative to a piece of cake.

That sounds like a nice idea - small pieces of wedding cake can often be much better!

I share your view about the sweetness of cake pops - they look so lovely, but just too sweet for me.

Ask a Question