Storing Cake Pops with Cream Cheese Buttercream

Reaction score
Assuming that your coating chocolate is tempered, and that once the cake pops have been fully dipped and left to set at room temperature, standing in a styrofoam block, they have to be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge, because the cake pops contain cream cheese buttercream (which should only stand at room temperature for a maximum of 2 hours).

My question is that, at this final stage, will these fully completed cake pops in the fridge contract and form cracks when it's time to serve them the following day, despite the tempered chocolate coating (I'm using compound chocolate - contains no 'cocoa butter', which doesn't require tempering) being left to set at room temperature?

Any replies would be much appreciated; thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've made many a cake with chocolate coatings instead of frosting. I've never had one crack on me, even after freezing.

I don't think they will contract too much, if they are at room temperature when you place them in the fridge. If your coating is on the cake pop pretty thick, you should not have any issues.

Reaction score
I've made many a cake with chocolate coatings instead of frosting. I've never had one crack on me, even after freezing.

I don't think they will contract too much, if they are at room temperature when you place them in the fridge. If your coating is on the cake pop pretty thick, you should not have any issues.

Sorry, but I'm slightly confused on whether you understood my post. I know that the cake pop balls (combination of buttercream and crumbled cake) need to be refrigerated and then allowed to sit at room temperature before fully dipping in coating, to prevent cracks. But what I'm asking is, when the cake pop coating has fully set at room temperature, when on the stick, should you have to put the finished cake pops in the fridge, so the cream cheese doesn't perish, will the cake pops crack, although the dipping was done correctly.

Actually, I might consider dipping the cake pops a few hours before they need to be served, tomorrow, so I don't end up in a situation where I need to refrigerate the finished pops at all.

Thanks for your answer, regardless.

Reaction score
Again, you shouldn't have any problems unless your coating is really thin.

You can always refrigerate before dipping, a few hours before hand, as you stated.

Ask a Question