Choosing the Right Height for Cake Rings

Reaction score
I'll admit in advance that this may come across as a weird or dumb question, but I'm just looking for input from someone more experienced. I'm looking for some cake rings to use in the future for entremets or also just regular cake assembly, and was wondering if there's a "standard" height for them. It seems entremets are usually 2" high or shorter, but layer cakes are generally much taller. I found a baking supply store that sells stainless steel ring molds in virtually every height, from 0.5" to 4", and so ideally I'm looking to get the most flexible height, rather than having to buy multiple rings of the same diameter. Would the best option just to get taller 3" rings? Although it may be a bit more difficult to smooth out the tops for a perfectly flat surface for shorter entremets, they seem to be the most flexible for whatever cake assembly purposes I may need them for.

Reaction score
I'll admit in advance that this may come across as a weird or dumb question, but I'm just looking for input from someone more experienced. I'm looking for some cake rings to use in the future for entremets or also just regular cake assembly, and was wondering if there's a "standard" height for them. It seems entremets are usually 2" high or shorter, but layer cakes are generally much taller. I found a baking supply store that sells stainless steel ring molds in virtually every height, from 0.5" to 4", and so ideally I'm looking to get the most flexible height, rather than having to buy multiple rings of the same diameter. Would the best option just to get taller 3" rings? Although it may be a bit more difficult to smooth out the tops for a perfectly flat surface for shorter entremets, they seem to be the most flexible for whatever cake assembly purposes I may need them for.

hey @cahoots

For cakes and entremets any thing over 2” will work because you use acetate cake collars. The collars come in different widths, so even if you have a 2” ring, line it with a taller collar.

I have rings in every height. I rarely use cake pans. I bake cakes in a rimmed baking sheet, then cut layers in the size I want using the cake rings. This gives me more flexibility. No side crusts. No worry about shrinkage. The layers are all 1’ so no torting. Since no torting, no crumbs in the filling. Since no torting, no uneven layers. Since no torting, no broken layers. For me, its a better way to bake cake.

Insofar as smoothing the top nothing could be easier for layer cakes than using a cake collar. Make sure your cake layers are 1”. Place the first layer on a standard cake board. Use a 1/2” round nozzle to pipe your dam and filling. Check to make sure each layer is level before filling the next layer. When you get to the top, pipe the icing on, then use a an offset spatula to spread it out. Now you need a long metal ruler that is designated for kitchen use only. Use the straight edge across the top of the cake, using the top of the acetate collar as the guide. Go in one direction. You might have a few imperfections, so it need to be chilled, then a touch up with a hot spatula.

The .05 rings are for tarts

This is a 5” roll of acetate cake collar. This is a commercial size roll. But there are smaller rolls available. There are also individual strips. My local restaurant supply shop sells individual strips of acetate cake collars for 45 cent a piece. Check with special cake decorating supply shops as well. Just make sure you are buying from a food supplier because it has to be food safe.

They come in different thickness. You don’t want it too thin, but not too thick either.

1AC4F484-1033-4777-8AB5-9707B5E0A13E.jpeg

Reaction score
Not a dumb question at all! I started baking in August of 2020. Initially I bought 3" high cake rings (adjustable), which work fine for the baking part (I would suggest to get at least 2, because those base layer cakes freeze beautfully, and if you make the Vienna dough, which requires the eggs to be heated over a water bath and simply takes longer time to complete, you might as well make two bases at the same time and freeze one). The cheapo frames from Amazon work fine. I use those office binder clips to hold the frames in place. However, I work with mousse-like fillings, not with butter cream, and once I start layering my Vienna base cake, which is usually 3 layers, the 3-inch frame is way to low. I had to turn to Amazon.de (Amazon Deutschland) to get 15 cm (about 6 inches) and 20 cm (about 7.8 inches) high cake rings. I would recommend to have at least one 6-inch cake ring for setting cakes. There is a angled spatula (also bought from Amazon Germany) that has a 90 degree straight down angle. That workes wonderful when flattening the lower layers. I really don't understand why those items that are standard in Germany and England are absolutlety NOT available in the U.S.

Cam

Reaction score
Not a dumb question at all! I started baking in August of 2020. Initially I bought 3" high cake rings (adjustable), which work fine for the baking part (I would suggest to get at least 2, because those base layer cakes freeze beautfully, and if you make the Vienna dough, which requires the eggs to be heated over a water bath and simply takes longer time to complete, you might as well make two bases at the same time and freeze one). The cheapo frames from Amazon work fine. I use those office binder clips to hold the frames in place. However, I work with mousse-like fillings, not with butter cream, and once I start layering my Vienna base cake, which is usually 3 layers, the 3-inch frame is way to low. I had to turn to Amazon.de (Amazon Deutschland) to get 15 cm (about 6 inches) and 20 cm (about 7.8 inches) high cake rings. I would recommend to have at least one 6-inch cake ring for setting cakes. There is a angled spatula (also bought from Amazon Germany) that has a 90 degree straight down angle. That workes wonderful when flattening the lower layers. I really don't understand why those items that are standard in Germany and England are absolutlety NOT available in the U.S.

May I please have the web page or company that sells the 6” deep rings. I’m having difficulty finding any over 4” and those are even hard to find. Would love some deep sizes.
Thanks a bunch!!

Reaction score
May I please have the web page or company that sells the 6” deep rings. I’m having difficulty finding any over 4” and those are even hard to find. Would love some deep sizes.
Thanks a bunch!!

Selection for extra tall rings for cake is very limited.

JB Prince sells a 9.4“ x 5.5”

=================

6” x 6”

Ask a Question