Cake rolls (pumpkin rolls,etc)

Reaction score
I have tried making pumpkin and fruit shortcake rolls but each time my cake cracked when I unrolled it. Should I have let it cool longer? Did I unroll it too quick? My family and I love them but this has been my only issue with them (even though no one has ever complained)! Any tips?

Reaction score
What do you mean UNroll them?

The only shortcake rolls I know of, you have to roll up and leave them like that!

Reaction score
Generally when I make cake rolls (chocolate or Vanilla), I whip just the egg yolks first for about 5 minutes before adding the remaining ingredients with about half of the amount of sugar used in the recipe. Mix the egg whites separately until stiff peaks form then slowly add the other half(remainder of the sugar used in the recipe) to the egg whites. Then gently fold them into the batter. (Note: Some recipes have you add the entire egg and whip that up but I find that separating the egg in the first step really helps.) Baking time should only be about 12 - 13 min in a 375 F. Don't over bake, drying(over bake) will cause cracking later on. Sprinkle with powder sugar, roll with moist towel while still hot or right from the oven. Don't let cool before rolling. The moisture of the cake along with the powder sugar add on the top will help when it comes time to unroll and prevent from sticking. Hope a few of these tips help.

Reaction score
I have tried making pumpkin and fruit shortcake rolls but each time my cake cracked when I unrolled it. Should I have let it cool longer? Did I unroll it too quick? My family and I love them but this has been my only issue with them (even though no one has ever complained)! Any tips?

Perhaps you are confused by the different terms used for the roulade cake. Shortcake, aka a biscuit, is not the same biscuit cake used for roulade.

When a roulade cake is referred to as a biscuit, it's the French usage of the word not the American. What Americans and British call a sponge cake, The French call a biscuit. The sponge cake is the correct cake for a roulade. Not a shortcake biscuit.

Try Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipe (link below).

Since there are so many variations on sponge it's important to use a recipe that is proven to roll well.

The first roll is critical. Aside from using a reliable recipe, The key is to roll while it's still warm. It has to be done right out of the oven.

The towel technique works best. See link to video.

After UNROLLING it's important to let the cake cool another 15 minutes or so before you add the filling and rerolling.

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/recipes/RLB's Biscuit Roulade.pdf

Joy of Baking uses Rose's recipe and has a video.

http://m.joyofbaking.com/cakes/SpongeCakeorBiscuit.html

How to roll with a towel
http://www.finecooking.com/article/how-to-roll-a-roulade-cake

Ask a Question