Cake rolls

Reaction score
What is everyone's secret to rolling up cakes as in a pumpkin roll or red velvet cake roll? I've tried rolling up two rolls now and both split while rolling! Do I need to let them set out of the oven for a set amount of time before I try rolling one up with my towel? Argh! I'm frustrated!

Reaction score
Have you tried using tha parchment paper to help you roll the cake? You use the same way you wold a sushi mat.

Reaction score
I was looking for an answer to this as well as I'd like to attempt another roll cake for Christmas this year. Last year I created a practice roll – under the supervision of my mum - that went pretty well, and then I was given full responsibility to make the cake myself in time for the party. It ended up cracking and falling to pieces so I slopped tonnes of chocolate on top to try and neaten it up. Oh well, nobody complained about the taste :p.

The recipe I followed seemed to suggest using parchment and rolling it up while it was still warm. Then letting it cool, before unrolling and adding the filling. It might have been a problem with the mixture I used as well.

Reaction score
I would say to roll it when it is still warm also. Warm cake does not split nearly as easy as cool cake. I have never tried to make a cake roll before, but I do know that it is more workable when it is still steamy.

Reaction score
When I have to roll any kind of a cake, I always roll it when it's still warm and I use either parchment paper or wax paper. Either will work just fine. Remember though, it is quite hard to do and can be a bit frustrating at times but don't give up. You will eventually get it to come out perfectly!!

Hope this helps,
Danyel :)

Ask a Question