Cake structure forms

Reaction score
What do you use to form cake structures when you make 3D cakes? I have heard of people using pvc piping and wire, but I am not sure if I would want to have my cakes exposed to these items. Are there and baking specific tools that you can use to make structure forms?

Reaction score
Sorry I can't be of more help, but I agree I would not use any plastic that is not good grade and rated as safe to at least 100 degrees more than what you are actually going to bake it at, just to be safe.

Reaction score
I have really never tried building a 3d cake myself so I can not be too much of help here, but after reading your post I did a little googling. This website has all sorts of 3d cake pans you might want to look in to. This method requires no wire or plastic so it is safe all around. After visiting this website I am going to order from them on payday! Check them out here; http://www.wilton.com/shapedpans/

Hope this helps some!

Reaction score
Thanks PrideKidd, some of those cake pans really are 3D to the point where it looks like you pour the batter into the center and then the 2 molds come apart to give you the shape. Those are a much better idea than using structure forms all together. You would not even have to plan out how you would cut the cake to get the 3D effect because the mold does it all for you.

Reaction score
Well I havent made #D forms, BUT I used to watch Food Network Challenge faithfully. LOLOL I've seen the PVC pipes used as a structure but first they wrap them in cling wrap.

Reaction score
I recently saw a silicone cake form that can be maneuvered into basically any shape you want. Now, this is just for an average size cake, nothing large or particularly fancy. I thought it was pretty cool. I might have to get one instead of buying pans in different shapes or trying to cut out my own shapes.

Reaction score
I actually tried once to make a 3D cake on my own. All was going well until my husband came home and shut the door too hard and make my cake fall flat. lol. I was trying to do a rainbow cake with a cool meringue topping. lets just say..Epic Fail.

I do not think I would try again until I order one of those pans on payday since Memorial Day is coming up. I really want to impress the people at our annual M.D. party. Hope the pan helps me this time. :p

Ask a Question