cake sunken in the middle

Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me why this happens? Better yet, what can I do to prevent this? It has to be an error im making, as I don't think its a common issue. I used a boxed cake mix and the middle of the cake was sunken in after it had been baked and cooled. I still frosted and served it, and it had no other issues, tasted great!

Reaction score
It could've be undercooked, or the oven temperature may have varied too much, generally caused by opening the oven door too often. There are other possibilities but generally wouldn't apply to boxed cake mixes.

Reaction score
I am no expert here. Where is @ChesterV ? I know it can happen if you open the oven too early and take a peep before the cake is ready. I think it has happened to me where I used too big of a pan for my mixed cakes but I was just guessing that was the problem. I hope some of the others will be along to help you out. I'll probably Google it when I have some more time.

Reaction score
Yes, there are all sorts of issues that can cause this--

*Over mixing the batter
*Under mixing the batter
*Oven not hot enough
*Oven too hot
*Opened oven door before the first 10-15 minutes has passed
*Expired ingredients
*Wrong kind of flour
*Pan too thick for the kind of batter being baked

Reaction score
I knew the expert @ChesterV would be along to help us out and I am sure he did not have to Google it like I would have had to do. Thank you @ChesterV. At least I got half of one right with the opening of the oven. I did not realise it had a time frame attached to it.

Ask a Question