Cake with Alchol

Reaction score
I know everybody knows about Rum cake. Have you ever used Cognac? I use this when baking a pineapple upside down cake. My family (the adults of course) love this cake and request it for all holidays, birthdays, and family events. It has become very popular for us. It is hard to get the exact recipe as it depends on my taste buds. It is a family secret, so I'm so so so sorry to not be able to disclose it to you all.

Reaction score
I make Bailey's Irish cream brownies I have been told they are amazing. The rich creaminess blends so well with the chocolate. I know brownies are not exactly cake , but it's along the same lines.

Reaction score
I make Bailey's Irish cream brownies I have been told they are amazing. The rich creaminess blends so well with the chocolate. I know brownies are not exactly cake , but it's along the same lines.
I am not into chocolate that much, but my family is, so I would definitely try that one.

Reaction score
This might not be correct today, but when I was child, it was "normal" that children had a slice of cake with alcohol and even cup cakes with alcohol because the amount of it was too little that was not meant to get someone drunk.

My mother did not bake this type of cakes, but my father used to buy them at a bakery renowned by the delicacy of those cakes with alcohol, and yes, they were so tasty.

When I grew up I learned that the secret of those cakes was that they had in their cognac rather than rum or regular brandy, but when importation of alcoholic beverages was taxed heavily, the bakery had to to shut down being unable to sell their cakes with the same fine quality.

I have tried to make this type of cakes, but after tasting those of the bakery, I know I will never be able to get that special taste in my memories.

Reaction score
This might not be correct today, but when I was child, it was "normal" that children had a slice of cake with alcohol and even cup cakes with alcohol because the amount of it was too little that was not meant to get someone drunk.

My mother did not bake this type of cakes, but my father used to buy them at a bakery renowned by the delicacy of those cakes with alcohol, and yes, they were so tasty.

When I grew up I learned that the secret of those cakes was that they had in their cognac rather than rum or regular brandy, but when importation of alcoholic beverages was taxed heavily, the bakery had to to shut down being unable to sell their cakes with the same fine quality.

I have tried to make this type of cakes, but after tasting those of the bakery, I know I will never be able to get that special taste in my memories.
Many family members feel that they are giving their child alcohol if they were to give them a slice of the cake, but I was told that the alcohol cooks out when the cake bakes. I don't think this is true because I can still smell the alcohol when the cake comes out and when eating it.

Reaction score
I was going to say....when I was younger sometimes the children would get a slice of something like that, just like it wasn't unheard of to get a small wine glass of a drink on New Years Eve. I haven't tried Cognac in my boozy baking but it's definitely something I'd give a shot at....though I agree, it sounds like a very much 'to taste' thing.

Reaction score
I remember around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Eve, my mom would by the sparkling apple ciders for me. I used to really think they were champagne, LOL. My mom told me that I would act like I was tipsy. Now my 10 year old gets the same ciders and he turns his bottle up and carries it around like he is really drinking. I guess some things kids see on television really is bad, but this is so funny. Of course we don't laugh in his face, but have to remind him that is is only cider and not alcohol.

Reaction score
LOL, it's funny with kids, but they've found that adults will act the same way if you tell them they're drinking something 'hard' and they aren't! It's fascinating the kind of tricks the mind can play on us ;).

Reaction score
I remember the rum cakes as a kid, but I was always of the opinion the alcohol was lessened or gone in the process. I know many put alcohol in cheese cakes, from Gran Marnier to others for the fruity tastes.

Ask a Question