Cakes always deflate

Reaction score
If I follow a recipe I have no issue. When I try to change it or make my own recipe it deflates while cooling. Can you help figure out why and how to avoid?

Recipe I made up last night:
3 egg whites whipped
3 egg yolks
1 1/2 cup whipping cream (non dairy)
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
Under 1 cup of flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1 cup carrot pulp

I whipped the egg whites with the sugar and set it aside. Whipped the whipping cream with vanilla and set it aside. Whisked the egg yolk in a third bowl. In a new bowl I sifted the flour, salt, and baking powder. I added the whipping cream and egg yolk to the flour. Mixed in the carrot pulp. Then folded in the whipped egg white. Baked at 350 for 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Coming up with your own recipes from scratch is certainly tricky. Baking is a science, and you need to consider the role that each ingredient plays, because it will determine your final result. There is a useful description about the roles played by different ingredients here:

http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/baking/the-science-of-cake-making.html

In terms of your recipe, the whipped egg whites and baking powder will help the rise. If there is any raising agent in your flour, that will help the rise too. The gluten in the flour supports the structure. The whipping cream will make the cake moist, but it may also make it more dense. And the carrot pulp will also hinder a rise.

In terms of the balance between all these elements, I'd imagine that the carrot and cream and too heavy to be supported by the structure created by the other ingredients, which is causing the cake to deflate. However, I'm just guessing! Other things that might cause problems - if you open the oven door too early; if it isn't baked for long enough; if the flour is overmixed.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
In addition to Becky's reply.......

It could be the non-dairy whipping cream. That stuff is usually just flavored water, with a bit of thickener in it. If it does not have any actual dairy in it, it will not react with the other ingredients like it is supposed to.

Your baking powder could be old or out of date. Or if it is fresh, you might have gotten a "dud" can of it......that does happen.

As for the carrot pulp, was it watery and really wet? If so, then that could be part of the reason. Too much moisture will deflate a cake. If the pulp is watery, try pat drying it with paper towels before adding it to the mixture.

If these suggestions do not work, try adding another egg white to it.

Reaction score
I gave up on making up my own and sticked to following recipes. Ironically this Friday I decided to give it another try with my own recipe and failed again lol

I cooked it for 40 minutes and the center was still completely raw.

Ingredients:
1/2 stick margarine
2 eggs
1 egg white
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup light almond milk
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp corn flour

Directions:
I beat the margarine with 1/2 cup sugar, till mixed well.
I beat in 2 eggs one at a time.
Stirred in the lemon juice and zest.

I sifted in the dry ingredients in another bowl.

Whipped my egg whites to a soft peak.

I mixed in the dry ingredients with the liquid.

Then folded in whipped egg white.

Baked in a baking pan.

The batter tasted great! I am going to try again doubling the margarine, to see if that helps. If not then its back to only following recipes which always bake well!

Reaction score
Most cakes remain raw in the middle due to uneven oven temps ( or batter was too cold or too much batter in a too deep pan) and for that I always recommend placing a couple of thermometers in there.
But I am thinking your recipe is so unbalanced that no amt of temp control would help.
Your ratios are all off !
Save whatever ingredients you are planning to use to try and make it work and find a recipe that has been tested and found to be reliable for a home cook!

Huny

Reaction score
oh, im sure my ratios are all off. I was willing to experiment for the fun off. Im also willing to make try it again because the batter tasted great raw! lol

Reaction score
Ok.
How about this?
One of those cakes made from cake batter ...."baked" like pancakes in a non stick pan ?
Never made one myself but have seen a pix and OMG that huge stack with icing slathered between each layer.....for someone who is in it for the icing this would be heaven lol !

Huny

Reaction score
lol. I feel like that would more disastrous.

Im going to try it one more time with double the margarine. (Unless people have recommendations on how to slightly improve the ratios) If it fails then i will look for a real lemon sponge cake recipe with frosting in the middle and all around.

Reaction score
If trying different recipes and ingredients has not worked, then it may be how you are baking the cake.

Try using "air bake" pans and lowering the temperature a little bit. "Air bake" pans are actually two pans molded together to form one pan. There is an air pocket between the outside of the pan and the inside of the pan, which allows the cake to bake more evenly.

Lowering the temperature just a bit will allow the cake to bake longer, which means it bakes a little slower than usual, which should help bake out more moisture so the cake doesn't burn or dry out.

If that doesn't work, just make thinner cake layers.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I was able to change the recipe and have it come out well.

This is new recipe.

1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 stick of margarine
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
zest of 1 lemon
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice

I over baked it slightly but the texture was finally like a normal cake..

Ask a Question