Cakes taste like cornbread

Reaction score
Everytime I try to bake a cake from scratch it turns out tasting like cornbread.Also, they always feel kinda rough on the top. Maybe I'm over mixing or overbaking? One more question, if my hand mixer only came with 2 beaters and a whisk, which one should I actually use for cake mix? Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Are you using regular flour or gluten free mix?

Cakes need to be really thoroughly mixed. I prefer using an electric hand mixer because it does a better job of getting all the lumps out of the batter.

Reaction score
@Kiara you need to be using both. Start off with the whisk for creaming the butter and sugar thoroughly. It should be a lot whiter/paler and very light when you are done. You will need to scrap off the creamed mixture from the whisk. I often use the same whisk to carefully whisk in the eggs and flour but you need to be careful with adding the eggs to the creamed mixture because over beating with result in the mixture curdling. Once the flour and eggs are added, if I am adding anything else such as fruit etc, I will move over to the beaters (in my case 1 K beater).

What recipes have you tried btw?

Reaction score
Are you using regular flour or gluten free mix?

Cakes need to be really thoroughly mixed. I prefer using an electric hand mixer because it does a better job of getting all the lumps out of the batter.
I use regular flour

Reaction score
@Kiara you need to be using both. Start off with the whisk for creaming the butter and sugar thoroughly. It should be a lot whiter/paler and very light when you are done. You will need to scrap off the creamed mixture from the whisk. I often use the same whisk to carefully whisk in the eggs and flour but you need to be careful with adding the eggs to the creamed mixture because over beating with result in the mixture curdling. Once the flour and eggs are added, if I am adding anything else such as fruit etc, I will move over to the beaters (in my case 1 K beater).

What recipes have you tried btw?
I've tried several recipes for both red velvet and my personal favorite, white cake. Thanks for the tips, I'll remember to try then next time.

Reaction score
I've experienced the same thing with cakes made from scratch. I do think sometimes it's because I get in too big of a hurry. It does pay to carefully follow all of the directions. Still, there are some recipes I've tried that no matter how careful I am, they still have the consistency of cornbread. Some people like it that way. Me? Not so much.

Ask a Question