Cakes vs Cupcakes

Reaction score
What's your preference?

I used to always make cakes. But since I had my kids, I find that cupcakes are much simpler. They can get their own plus, I think it's easier to eat. Just pick it up as opposed to using a fork.

Reaction score
I agree. I used to always make cakes - I do still for bdays - unless someone requests cupcakes! ;-)
I too think it is easier for people to eat cupcakes. And it doesn't seem as likely to be left overs with cupcakes.
I think people are more likely to pick up a cupcake and eat it as opposed to slicing a piece of cake!
They are cuter too! LOL

Reaction score
Cup cakes are trendy nowadays, but they will never replace the traditional cake that all of us like to bake and all members of our family dream on having at the table on birthdays, special celebrations or just because some day.

Cakes keep family and friends together as opposed to cup cakes because, like mommy says, people pick them up in rush to go work, or kids eat them up while playing, but not really something that you can have on your table to get the family gathered while enjoying them.

Reaction score
I like cupcakes and I think they are a good dessert, but I think cakes are better. You can make a big cake that everyone can share whereas cupcakes are a single dessert. I like being able to come back and cut me a big piece of cake than to get a small cupcake.

Reaction score
Cupcakes are a great form of portion control. You can cut a lager slice of cake but all the cup cakes are the same size. Cupcakes are portable and you don't need a fork or plate to eat one. If you sever cupcakes you never have to worry about dividing a cake in to small enough pieces to make sure everyone gets a slice. I have to say that cupcake is just more convenient.

Reaction score
I like cupcakes more, they're cute and you can decorate them each however you please. They taste great as well and you can use the same batter to make as many different cupcake flavours as you wish. The servings are just right for me, not too much and not too little.

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of cakes. I will make them, but for kids I prefer cupcakes. I like to decorate cupcakes. I made monsters for my son's last birthday party! They were fun! If i make a cake, it's a sheet cake with frosting and sprinkles. I'm not that creative yet.

Reaction score
I will agree that it's more fun to make cupcakes because you can do lots of different designs whereas a cake you are a little limited to onr design. I like that aspect of cupcakes.

Reaction score
I love cupcakes. I like to inject them with flavors and then pipe on a diff. flavor on top. Examples: Orange cupcake with raspberry filling, then vanilla frosting on top. Chocolate cupcakes with a peanut butter filling and then chocolate on top, the possibilities are endless.

Reaction score
I'm not too big on cupcakes with filling in them. I like to just have the cake with frosting on top. I don't have the taste for filling in my cupcakes.

Reaction score
^^ Me too. I prefer cupcakes with frosting than filling (although I'll take anything handed to me, haha). I think they are a lighter substitute and are easier to make than classic big cakes.

Reaction score
I'm like that as well. I will take what someone hands me because if it tastes good then there is no harm in eating it. My waistline may not agree, but my stomach likes the idea.

Reaction score
I too agree the cupcakes help with portion control. Making cupcakes allows the creator to decorate each cake differently versus making it all one color, as far as frosting. You can personalized each cake making them even more special.

Reaction score
I too agree the cupcakes help with portion control. Making cupcakes allows the creator to decorate each cake differently versus making it all one color, as far as frosting. You can personalized each cake making them even more special.
I agree that personlizing cupcakes is nice and it does make the cupcake special. I like individual cupcakes, but I also like cakes. I do know that you can control the portion size of cakes as well as eating a small cupcake. It depends on you and how much you want to eat.

Reaction score
They both have their pros and cons I suppose. For me it depends on the occasion. If I am making something that needs to be taken out then I will make cupcakes. These are easier to store in a tupperware container and make good for snacks inbetween lectures or meetings. But for parties I think cakes will always be a must. They are just a part of the party nd nothing beats the feeling of slicing into a fresh cake with a knife- just looking at how all the icing makes way for the blade somehow makes the cake look all that more tasty :D

Reaction score
Looks-wise, I think cupcakes are much cuter. I've always though cupcakes were so cute lol. I do agree that they're easier to eat.

In terms of what's easier to cook, I think both are equally as easy, but it also depends on what you're adding, and extra steps for a particular recipe, etc.

Reaction score
hmm.. I don't like much of anything "cakey", but I don't turn it down either lol. I think I prefer cake though.. cupcakes can be messy and you can make your cake piece as big as you like :p

Reaction score
What's your preference?

I used to always make cakes. But since I had my kids, I find that cupcakes are much simpler. They can get their own plus, I think it's easier to eat. Just pick it up as opposed to using a fork.
I completely agree. Cupcakes are really getting their time in the sun right now. I also think they are easier to make in general. Cakes are so difficult to make pretty and cupcakes are way easier to frost and you don't have to worry as much about them being off-sides etc.

Reaction score
I prefer cupcakes because they're much more finger friendly. Plus if I'm making them for multiple people I can leave a bunch unfrosted and it wouldn't affect the rest. I HATE frosting, unless it's frosting from a store bought cake/cupcake. So I tend to never use frosting when I bake, which doesn't go well sometimes when family members expect something to be frosted.

Ask a Question