Cakes with gooey centers

Reaction score
Do you enjoy cakes with gooey centers, like molten cakes? I like them, but I'm thinking of trying something different after reading Madison's idea for using salted caramel.

What about fruit filling? Would that work? Or, is there another way to create a colorful center?

Reaction score
I love those, but I'm not so good at baking those. I think it's a little too much work for me, if I'm ever feeling like having one of those... I just buy it. As for the fruit filling, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Reaction score
I have to confess that I don't really like them. I find them difficult to deal with in that you have to eat the whole lot in one go, because once you cut into them the contents come out and then what? What do you do with the say molten chocolate centre? You have to share it out amongst however many people are with you and then if you want to store the cake for another day, what do you do with it? It now has very little if any centre, has collapsed on you and isn't really what it was originally. I think they are more a pudding personally and even then you can't store them.

Nope, I'll stick with a proper cake, like the lemon drizzle polenta cake we have just finished off that was made last weekend. It was lovely and moist and still exactly as it was last weekend.

Reaction score
I usually make them individually. I have a pan that makes extra large muffins/cupcakes that's just right for molten cakes. Yeah, I think that would be a mess for a regularly sized cake. I can see why you wouldn't want that. Ugh.

Lemon drizzle cake sounds yummy too. I was thinking of making something with a surprise center for my grandbaby's birthday. I want to make a colorful cake with a colorful surprise in the middle.

Reaction score
I usually make them individually. I have a pan that makes extra large muffins/cupcakes that's just right for molten cakes. Yeah, I think that would be a mess for a regularly sized cake. I can see why you wouldn't want that. Ugh.

Lemon drizzle cake sounds yummy too. I was thinking of making something with a surprise center for my grandbaby's birthday. I want to make a colorful cake with a colorful surprise in the middle.
never tried one personally and that sounds like a sweet idea :D

Reaction score
Too sweet of an idea for me although I am guessing there can be savoury tastes as well. I have not baked one and likely wont unless it's some sort of project and no one in the house will probably eat it. In my case I can't even eat a donut with a creamy centre.

Reaction score
As much I love to eat these, making them is a risk if you get too much liquid in them. I do think doing them individually is better as there is less risk of the center sinking. I have done this before and it worked, but I think it was a fluke!

Reaction score
As much I love to eat these, making them is a risk if you get too much liquid in them. I do think doing them individually is better as there is less risk of the center sinking. I have done this before and it worked, but I think it was a fluke!

I agree about making them individually. If I try making something like this (other than a Boston Cream Pie), that is probably what I'd do. I don't have any larger muffin-type pans right now, so I'll probably wait until I get some, before tackling this type of recipe.

Reaction score

You can even just pour the cupcakes and then add some chocolate chips (or other flavors to the center. It adds a bit of the gooey stuff without being too runny. They are moist and good.

I agree about making them individually. If I try making something like this (other than a Boston Cream Pie), that is probably what I'd do. I don't have any larger muffin-type pans right now, so I'll probably wait until I get some, before tackling this type of recipe.

The regular muffin cups can work too. I've even done mini ones with mini chocolate chips. They are rich.

Reaction score
You can even just pour the cupcakes and then add some chocolate chips (or other flavors to the center. It adds a bit of the gooey stuff without being too runny. They are moist and good.

The regular muffin cups can work too. I've even done mini ones with mini chocolate chips. They are rich.
ohhhhhh

Ask a Question