Campsite Food! Who Has Suggestions?

Reaction score
My family and I love to go camping and kayaking but it is always a challenge to find something different to feed the "men" who think they are always hungry!

In reality with all the activity we burn a lot of calories and have to stop for breaks every couple of hours to snack.

What are your "go to" snacks that travel well?

What is your favorite campfire desert?

Reaction score
Campfire desserts other than good ol' S'mores?
I love a dutch oven cobbler or crisp--with just picked wild berries, if possible. Otherwise, cherry, peach or apricot.

Reaction score
S'mores are a lovely thing but if we're talking about necessary calories, then that's going to bait a sugar crash and not be that filling, either.

Eggs and potatoes with cheese, mushrooms, and maybe even sausages--that's what I'd go-to for something filling. Nuts are a must...er, unless somebody has a nut allergy, then it's a must-never... but nuts have the most energy for the least amount of space that it takes up, so even nut butters would be good to have on hand--to add on s'mores, even!

Are you bringing a pie iron? Those can be sweet or and savory.

Sausages or hot dogs roasted over an open fire can be good snacks. I've been wanting to make Staffordshire oatcakes, which sound like they'd make great wraps chock full of good breakfastly things...but, in my civilized kitchen. I don't know how well that would keep or be easy to make while camping...tortilla wraps, perhaps?

Reaction score
If you've never tried this before, I really encourage you to try making a chocolate banana. It's delicious. Basically what you do is, you cut the banana open with a knife slightly on one side. Cut open one...'segment' of the banana, lengthwise if you know what I mean? Like, you know how the banana is sort of...hexagonal? Cut open one of those sections down the banana.

Then stuff little chunks, or shavings of chocolate into this opening. Try and pack it around the banana on all sides, so you get a fully covered banana, rather than just one side. Then wrap it up in tin foil, and stick it in the embers of your fire. This is best if the fire has died down a bit so you're not melting the banana, but if your camp fire is still going, just wrap it up in foil more, while leaving it on the edge of the fire, turning slowly.

Then unwrap after five minutes or so, and you have a delicious chocolate banana! Best thing I learned from the scouts. Only thing I remembered from my time with them really, other than how to march and hold a flag while marching. I do vaguely remember a way to boil an egg using only a campfire and an orange skin...

Reaction score
I have so many favorite campfire desserts but I'll just post a few. I saw this oneon a website once. You start out with a waffle cone and fill it with a mixture of marshmallows and any candy or chocolates you might want (my favorite is Reese's cups). Then wrap it in tin foil and put it over the fire until it's melted and gooey! And the other is from when I was little so I hope I get the recipe right. First you need a square iron and you spray it and put bread on both sides. You then add any pie filling you want to one side. After that you flip it together and clamp it closed and hold over the fire until it's cooked. It's like a campfire pie:)

Reaction score
I have so many favorite campfire desserts but I'll just post a few. I saw this oneon a website once. You start out with a waffle cone and fill it with a mixture of marshmallows and any candy or chocolates you might want (my favorite is Reese's cups). Then wrap it in tin foil and put it over the fire until it's melted and gooey! And the other is from when I was little so I hope I get the recipe right. First you need a square iron and you spray it and put bread on both sides. You then add any pie filling you want to one side. After that you flip it together and clamp it closed and hold over the fire until it's cooked. It's like a campfire pie:)
Goddamnit, I think I'm going to have to try that waffle cone recipe out now. Pity I won't actually be near a campfire any time soon. Do you think it could be done in a normal oven, as long as I keep it upright so the gooeyness doesn't melt out the side or something?

Reaction score
You can make just about any food imaginable with some tin foil and a campfire. The key is to make a pouch out of the foil and you can grill veggies or apples, sugar, and cinnamon to snack on, just to name a couple. I have even made brownies with this method, but you have to watch them closely so they don't burn. Speaking of chocolate, you can cut up a bunch of pieces of fruit and berries, and some chocolate chips to the pouch, and have a warm, messy, goey, dessert.

Reaction score
Ohh, found the method for cooking an egg in an orange peel that I mentioned earlier! Not quite how I remember it-I think I was taught how to cook a boiled egg-but still pretty good if you like eggs in the morning.

Reaction score
Goddamnit, I think I'm going to have to try that waffle cone recipe out now. Pity I won't actually be near a campfire any time soon. Do you think it could be done in a normal oven, as long as I keep it upright so the gooeyness doesn't melt out the side or something?
I bet the cone might even stand between the wires in the rack of the oven. I would give it a try! Just be sure to still wrap in foil so you don't have a mess if it doesn't work.

Reaction score
I like bringing granola bars, they are good for energy if needed. They are fun to make at home too and you can put all the ingredients that you want in it instead of something like blueberry and strawberries when I don't like strawberries!

Reaction score
I bet the cone might even stand between the wires in the rack of the oven. I would give it a try! Just be sure to still wrap in foil so you don't have a mess if it doesn't work.
That was my thinking! The wires keeping it upright I mean. I'll be giving it a try the next time I actually buy foil, so should be next week or so when I go shopping. I'll try and remember to make a thread and tell you how it goes :)

Reaction score
Ple
That was my thinking! The wires keeping it upright I mean. I'll be giving it a try the next time I actually buy foil, so should be next week or so when I go shopping. I'll try and remember to make a thread and tell you how it goes :)
Please do! I haven't tried it on the oven so if it works for you my husband will be thrilled! It's his favorite snack when camping

Reaction score
Ple

Please do! I haven't tried it on the oven so if it works for you my husband will be thrilled! It's his favorite snack when camping
I'll keep you informed Pretty, don't worry :)

Will be a while, next two weeks or so, before I have enough money again to get all the ingredients, so I'll try to remember to update this thread when I finally get around to it.

Ask a Question