Can cakes be 'baked' in a microwave?

Reaction score
My oven got spoilt about 6 months back and now I only have a microwave (with grill). I tried making (can I call it baking?) chocolate cakes in it but they've turned out hard and crusty. Is it impossible to get a perfect fudge or sponge cake through a microwave? has anyone tried? How long do you keep it in and at what temperature? Also is the batter made in the same way? Clueless! :confused:

Reaction score
I don't know about a big cake, but I know it is possible to make delicious cakes in a mug. Try looking up Milo cake in a mug recipe, or desserts in a microwave recipes.

I would also consider making alternative desserts on the stove or something like a tapioca/sago pudding in a microwave or various fridge pies/tarts.

Hope you will be able to find a way around this!

Reaction score
I don't know about a big cake, but I know it is possible to make delicious cakes in a mug. Try looking up Milo cake in a mug recipe, or desserts in a microwave recipes.

I would also consider making alternative desserts on the stove or something like a tapioca/sago pudding in a microwave or various fridge pies/tarts.

Hope you will be able to find a way around this!

I'm not looking for big cakes but you know, ones that two people can share after dinner or something. I'm not that good with baking and making desserts, the oven made my work very easy! Mug cakes are the only thing that I've successfully managed in the m.wave so far. I'll check out the ones you've mentioned, the tapioca/sago pudding (I hadn't heard of this before) right away. Thanks a ton! :)

Reaction score
I've never baked a cake using a microwave but I know it can be done. I'm not certain of the right technique and I'm pretty certain it can't be a full size cake. However, I'm curious now and might conduct and experiment with this. I came across this recipe online from Duncan Hines (I'm pretty sure there are others...) http://www.duncanhines.com/recipes/cakes/patti40/3-2-1-microwave-cake/

Thanks for the link. The problem is getting hold of the exact cake mix suggested in the recipe. I'll try it with a different mix and see how it turns out. So far all my attempts have been miserable, lol.

Reaction score
That is interesting. I never knew you could make a cake in the microwave. I know there are lots of things you can do in a microwave, but I never would have thought of doing a cake. I will have to try that out and see if I will like it

Reaction score
I was going to say...the only surefire way I've heard for that is mug cakes. I'm not sure about how well a larger version would go in the microwave, though I doubt it's absolutely impossible. You've got me curious now, I might just have to experiment with it a little bit and get back to you.

Reaction score
A few years back I was at a party for some sort of brand of dishes and the lady there made a cake in the microwave. It was pretty good, considering how it was cooked, ha ha. I'm sure there are recipes out there for it.

Reaction score
http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/the-moistest-chocolate-mug-cake/

I saw this recipe and thought I would give it a try. Quick and easy is what I am known for. This time I think I am going to pause on the microwave mug cake. My cake was nothing like the one in the picture. The whole moist thing is what caught me and I thought I would surprise my son, but the surprise was all mine. The texture was not great. It was not a success story.

Reaction score
I found a recipe online for a cute little microwave cake.
I still haven't found a full size microwave cake recipe. Maybe a large cake wouldn't cook all the way through.

http://m.instructables.com/id/microwave-cake/
This one looks like it actually would be very tasty. I swore the chocolate cake was going to be a knockout as the vegan one I had tried wasn't half bad. All my son kept saying was "it's a little tough mummy" not that he really needed to say anything because mummy already knew it was a disaster. This one looks like a good bet. I feel the disaster had something to do with the baking time. Different microwaves have different voltage or something so maybe I have to start there.

Reaction score
I've heard of people successfully cooking using a microwave, but I have yet to meet someone who has been successful baking a whole cake! Mug cakes do fine tho, but bigger cakes... not sure at all.

Ask a Question