Can I Broil a Cake in Place of Baking?

C

chacha21

My oven has recently broken, it turns on but does not heat. On the other hand, my broiler works just fine and I've been able to cook peach cobbler and peach bread, though that calls for a different recipe. Of course. it's a pandemic and I'm unable to get the oven fixed right now, I will be making a 4 tier chocolate box cake for my friends birthday in a square 8x8" pan and I really don't want to mess it up, is there any possible way to figure out how long to bake a cake in the oven on the low broiler setting, should i just check it every 15 minutes?

Thank you in advance

Reaction score
My oven has recently broken, it turns on but does not heat. On the other hand, my broiler works just fine and I've been able to cook peach cobbler and peach bread, though that calls for a different recipe. Of course. it's a pandemic and I'm unable to get the oven fixed right now, I will be making a 4 tier chocolate box cake for my friends birthday in a square 8x8" pan and I really don't want to mess it up, is there any possible way to figure out how long to bake a cake in the oven on the low broiler setting, should i just check it every 15 minutes?

Thank you in advance

You would be better off steaming it I think. Chinese have been doing it forever. English too have a steam cake tradition that was then carried over to Colonial America. Doesn’t work for every recipe, but it should work for your chocolate box mix. Just mix it up according to the instructions, then steam. These videos show two ways to steam a cake on a stovetop.

Reaction score

Thank you in advance

You can fix the oven after you get through with your cake adventure.
If it has elec ignition...
Its very likely the igniter has burned out.
The grill igniter is still good, just swap them and don't use the grill.
I did it recently , a bit fiddly with small screws but simple enough.

C

chacha21

You can fix the oven after you get through with your cake adventure.
If it has elec ignition...
Its very likely the igniter has burned out.
The grill igniter is still good, just swap them and don't use the grill.
I did it recently , a bit fiddly with small screws but simple enough.
Thanks, actually finished the cake and got my step dad to fix the oven, thanks for the advice

C

chacha21

You would be better off steaming it I think. Chinese have been doing it forever. English too have a steam cake tradition that was then carried over to Colonial America. Doesn’t work for every recipe, but it should work for your chocolate box mix. Just mix it up according to the instructions, then steam. These videos show two ways to steam a cake on a stovetop.

Im going to try this next, the cake came out well, thank you

Ask a Question