Can I "rebake" something?

Reaction score
My date-nut bread came out beautifully brown, and before I took it out of the oven I tested the center with a wooden skewer. It came out clean(ish) (tiny crumbs attached but this is a sticky bread!) with no gooey batter. I let it cool a few hours (not easy!) and sliced one slice at a time over the next day. But when I got to the center, it just wasn't baked enough. Not runny or gross, but definitely wetter/denser/softer than the rest, and I didn't like that. Since 3 loaves came from this recipe, I'm assuming the other 2 will be the same in the center. Is it even possible to put them back in a 350 oven (covered with foil, since they are plenty dark) and get any baking done in the middle, or will I just be drying out my bread?

I thought about toasting each slice before eating, but these are small slices (short narrow loaf pans) which would get lost in my toaster.

Also, same bread but different issue, this bread came out much sweeter than I would have liked. Do (or should) recipe writers consider the sweetness of the fruit and adjust the sugar down? Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Do you have a toaster oven? You can use that instead of a toaster, or put several slices on a large rack or cookie sheet and place in the regular oven.

If you need to bake the center of something, put it in the microwave.

Microwaves bake from the "inside out", whereas standard ovens bake from the "outside in".

Wrap your loaf in a damp, thick paper towel, or in a very clean/lint free, damp towel, and place in microwave. I cannot guess at the time you will need, as I cannot attest to the level of "gumminess" your bread has at this point. I'm certain it shouldn't be less than one minute and no more than 5 minutes.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Do you have a toaster oven? You can use that instead of a toaster, or put several slices on a large rack or cookie sheet and place in the regular oven.

If you need to bake the center of something, put it in the microwave.

Microwaves bake from the "inside out", whereas standard ovens bake from the "outside in".

Wrap your loaf in a damp, thick paper towel, or in a very clean/lint free, damp towel, and place in microwave. I cannot guess at the time you will need, as I cannot attest to the level of "gumminess" your bread has at this point. I'm certain it shouldn't be less than one minute and no more than 5 minutes.

Hope that helps.

No toaster oven, but definitely plenty of cookie sheets! I bet that would be good, "toasting" a slice of date-nut bread like that. And I never even thought of the microwave! I could try each method with the remaining 2 loaves. Thank you for your advice!

Ask a Question