Can I use glassine for making chocolate sheets

Reaction score
Good day! I recently learned how to bake a cake and make icing. Now as I watch tutorials from youtube, I saw a custom cake with chocolate shards in it. As I browse the internet, I usually see people using plastic on making chocolate sheets, now I have a lot of glassine in my home. I wanted to know whether using glassine is advisable in making chocolate sheets? Thanks

Reaction score
Good day! I recently learned how to bake a cake and make icing. Now as I watch tutorials from youtube, I saw a custom cake with chocolate shards in it. As I browse the internet, I usually see people using plastic on making chocolate sheets, now I have a lot of glassine in my home. I wanted to know whether using glassine is advisable in making chocolate sheets? Thanks

You know I’d be a little hesitant to use glassine because you don’t know what kind of coating is on it. glassine is grease proof, that’s why it’s used as a food bag or a cup. And there’s no telling how that coding would interact with the chocolate. I would use baking parchment paper before using glassine. Glassine definitely has some type of coding on it. But be careful because some baking parchment paper is also have coding. I just order precut parchment circles for baking and much to my horror they were coded on one side.

Usually food grade acetate or guitar sheets are used when working with chocolate. Guitar sheets is a form of acetate. I purchased large rolls of 5” wide acetate cake collars, so when I need to do a chocolate decoration I just use that. It’s a bit thicker than guitar sheets but it works fine. And when making a chocolate cake collar it it’s what is used. If you can find a restaurant supply store they usually sell the acetate cake collars individually. They’re really cheap like 45 cents each for 2” wide cake collars and 65 cents for 4” collars. Google guitar sheet for chocolate you can find them easily online. Or google acetate sheets for chocolate, or acetate cake collars. Just have to make sure that the acetate is food grade.

Reaction score
@Norcalbaker59 What do you mean by coded paper? Sorry I am kinda new to a lot of things. Thanks for the reply btw

Sorry that was a typo. Coated. Glassine is coated with some type of a wax like substance to make it grease proof. This is why its not advisable to use it in baking. Glassine is traditionally used as a bag to place food in but it’s not used to prepare food

Reaction score
Sorry that was a typo. Coated. Glassine is coated with some type of a wax like substance to make it grease proof. This is why its not advisable to use it in baking. Glassine is traditionally used as a bag to place food in but it’s not used to prepare food

Ok sir. Thanks for the info. Helped me a lot

Ask a Question